Meeting of the
Faculty Senate General Education Committee
September, 21, 2009
325 Main Hall
Meeting convened at 3:35pm
Attending: Michael Current, Anne Galbraith (convener), Tom
Gendreau, Jean Hindson, Gerald Iguchi, James Peirce, Tom Pribek, Bob Ragan, Don Sloan, Kara Zwieg
Consultants & Guests: Chris Bakkum, Amelia Dittman
M/S/P, minutes of 4-27-09, voice vote, unanimous
M/S/P, elect Anne Galbraith chair, without opposition; elect Tom
Pribek secretary, with only his mild opposition
- assessment update, from ad hoc GEAC
1. some dept.s "not in compliance" with 1st round of
- awaiting GEAC materials
- student appeal of a Course Substitution denial by dept.
SLO revisions & conclusions (for now)
- chairs, program dir.s & affected courses (using SLOs altered)
have been notified of changes; no one "adversely affected"
according to feedback given to GE chair
- this is a recommendation to FS, which it will have to approve
- final tinkering:
IV. 6. = "Articulate one's own moral values, explain
processes one uses to make ethical decisions, or examine
one's perspective on current ethical issues"
IV. 9. = "Analyze the effect one's decisions and choices have
on self & others"
- M/S/P, as modified today for FS adoption, voice vote, unanimous
cite FS charge to GE
- proposal of student completion of certain courses before 30
credits, f/the "salvage" project
Meeting adjourned at 4:25pm
Notes compiled by T. Pribek