Minutes of the Promotion, Tenure, and Salary Committee
March 29, 2010
Carl Wimberly Hall Room 432
Present: G. Achenreiner, M. Cashion, S. Cooper, E. Delgado, S. Krajewski, T. McAndrews, J. Miskowski, S. Rajagopal
1. Meeting called to order by the Chair, Delgado at 1:15 p.m.
2. M/S/P (8/0/0) to approve the minutes from March 22, 2010 meeting.
3. There was agreement to replace the ‘Other’ category in Column 1, Table 1 (Distribution of Retention and Recruitment Funds by College) with ‘Library’.
4. Provost, Dr. Kathleen Enz Finken’s response to the distribution of Retention and Recruitment funds was discussed. Although, Provost emphasized that the funds are not meant to be distributed either equitably across the colleges or proportionate to FTE, some members expressed concern over the disproportionate distribution of funds in the previous years. These members opined that Provost should strive for balance, to the extent possible, in distribution of these funds amongst all entities.
5. The meeting with Provost was most beneficial in understanding the allocation of Recruitment and Retention Funds. The Committee recommends scheduling a meeting with Provost early in fall semester in succeeding years.
6. The Committee recognizes that the guidelines from the UW-System for the allocation of Recruitment and Retention dollars are subject to change on an annual basis. However, in the interest of making the process more transparent, the Committee recommends that the guidelines should be made available (perhaps, posting on the web site) to the faculty and instructional academic staff on a timely basis.
7. Faculty Senate charge, “Continue to closely monitor the use of Recruitment and Retention Funds” is very vague. The Committee would prefer a more specific charge as to the role of PTS Committee in overseeing UW-System mandates.
8. Dr. Jennifer Miskowski (thanks Jen) volunteered to draft a report on the distribution of Recruitment and Retention Funds. This draft will be electronically distributed to the members prior to the next meeting.
9. Next meeting is on Monday, April 12, 2010 in Carl Wimberly Hall Room 432 at 1:10 p.m.
10. Meeting was adjourned at 2:10 p.m.