Minutes of the
Undergraduate Research Grant Committee
Meeting held on September 17, 2009
432 Carl Wimberly Hall
Present: Gretchen Berns, Tony Docan-Morgan, Lalita Pandit Hogan, Vijendra Agrawal, Kathryn Birkeland, Nicholas Downey, Aric Opdahl, Omar Rivera, Tim Gongaware, Jason Schroeder, Nicole Johnson, Katelynn Williams
Absent: Bonnie Bratina
Visitor: Betsy Morgan, Sarah Strohmenger
- Meeting was called to order by Chair Kathryn Birkeland at 7:45 am
- Assessment presentation by Betsy Morgan
- Assessed general awareness and appraisal of undergraduate research/creativity activities at UW-La Crosse
- Electronic survey sent to 900 UW-L undergraduates; 23% response rate
- No statistically significant differences in gender, race, or financial aid status
- 81% of sample was unaware of the Journal of Undergraduate Research
- Approval of minutes from September 2 meeting
- Move to accept minutes M/S/P
- Budget for 2009-10 (VJ
- 21% increase in the amount of funding from 070-08 to 08-09.
- Move to approve budget M/S/P
- VJ recommended an increase award amounts for domestic single grants from $1,350 to $1,500 with stipend remaining at $600 and an increase for domestic collaborative grants from $1,500 to $1,650 with stipend remaining at $950.
i. Motion to raise domestic grant awards by $150 for single and collaborative grants M/S/P
- Grant Writing workshop
- Scheduled for Monday, September 28 at 6:30 in 339 Cartwright
- Kathryn Birkeland requested committee presence at the workshop
- Nominations for undergraduate committee members
- Katelynn Williams was welcomed to the committee
- Discussion on subcommittees
- Subcommittees formed:
i. A subcommittee of 3-4 people to select who will present at NCUR, Symposium, and Posters in the Rotunda. Aric, Nick, Omar, and Katelynn volunteered for this subcommittee.
ii. A subcommittee to help with publication and setup of the Celebration. Jason, Tony, and Gretchen volunteered for this subcommittee.
iii. A subcommittee to investigate a web application for submissions. Tim, Nick, and Kathryn volunteered for this subcommittee.
- Discussion on the Journal of Undergraduate Research
- Discussion on the appropriateness, feasibility, visibility, and cost of continuing the current online format of the Journal.
- Motion to recommend to discontinue the current format of the Journal, thus discontinuing the editor’s position.
i. Friendly amendment: The committee recommends replacing the Journal with a new dissemination format. M/S/P
- Ethics in research (VJ
- Undergraduates and graduates must complete module 1 of the Responsible Conduct of Research training currently offered by the National Science Foundation before grants will be funded.
- New business
- VJ suggested future quest speakers
- Nick Downey suggested discussing whether a student can receive 2 grants in the same year.
- Next meeting scheduled for November 10
i. Proposals and review sheets will be online.
ii. Subcommittees should meet before November 10.
- Adjournment at 8:58 AM.
Respectfully submitted by Recorder, Tony Docan-Morgan