University of Wisconsin-La Crosse |

Human Resources

Expand page menu
Skip to page menu
  • Employment types

    Unclassified Staff

    The faculty and academic staff in the University of Wisconsin System are considered unclassified employees. All unclassified positions are exempt from the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA).  All unclassified staff are paid a monthly salary on the first of the month.


    Faculty members are individuals who hold a terminal degree in their field, and tenure or tenure-track teaching positions with the rank of professor, associate professor, or assistant professor in an academic department. Faculty appointments are either probationary or tenure appointments.

    Instructional Academic Staff

    Instructional academic staff are teaching staff in academic departments with the titles in the lecturer and clinical professor series. 

    Non-Instructional Academic Staff and Administration

    Non-instructional academic staff are non-teaching professional, administrative, and executive personnel with duties and types of appointments that are primarily associated with higher education institutions or their administration.

    Non-Contract Unclassified employees 

    Non-contract unclassified employees are employees who are employed as-needed in short-term positions. Generally, these positions do not qualify for employee benefits.

    Classified Staff

    Classified staff positions fall under the State of Wisconsin civil service system. Classified staff positions are quite varied and duties include, but are not limited to, administrative support, information technology, accounting, engineering, custodial, and craftsworkers. Many classified positions are non-exempt from the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA), while some supervisory and/or professional positions are exempt.  All classified staff are paid biweekly.

    Regular and Project Classified Staff

    Many classified staff at UW-La Crosse hold either a regular or project position.

    Limited Term Employees (LTE)

    Limited term classified positions are short-term positions in departments who require less-than-half-time support staff.

    Student Employees

    Graduate Assistants (GA)

    Graduate assistants are graduate students who hold an appointment which is intended to primarily further the education and training of the student.   Graduate assistantships include teaching, research, and program assistantships.

    Student Help

    Student help employees provide part-time and/or temporary administrative, clerical, laborer, technical, or other general support to administrators, faculty, and staff of the institution. Some student help positions are obtained through a students eligibility to receive work study funding.