University of Wisconsin-La Crosse |

International Education & Engagement

Expand page menu
Skip to page menu
  • Health insurance

    F-1 and J-1 Students

    Healthcare in the United States can be very expensive. All J-1 and F-1 international students and scholars are required to enroll in health insurance for the duration of their stay at UWL. No health insurance waivers will be accepted. 

    Student Assurance Services provides medical insurance to international students and scholars at UWL starting Fall 2015. It is extremely important to know how to use this insurance to ensure injuries and illnesses can be covered. Unpaid healthcare bills can cost thousands of dollars that will be your responsibility. Additionally, unpaid medical bills may be sent to a collections agency and may even impact future visits to the U.S.

    UWL students, with their student id's, should always try to visit the Student Health Center on campus first before utilizing a healthcare facility in the community. The Student Health Center offers quality care at a discounted price for students.  If you visit a healthcare facility off campus, make sure to bring your insurance card.  (Students and scholars will be notified when their health insurance card can be picked up.) When visiting a health care facility off campus, please ask the facility to make a copy of your insurance card for their records. Also, ask if there are any forms you need to sign to make sure the healthcare facility can send your information to Student Assurance Services. 

    If you have questions about what is covered by Student Assurance Services, please review the quick coverage guide and coverage brochure

    Preferred Provider Directory - Health EOS Plus or Multiplan

    Preferred Pharmacy Directory - Catamaran

    For assistance and questions about insurance benefits, ID cards, claim status, or claim processing contact the Plan Administrator:


    Student Assurance Services, Inc. (SAS)
    Post Office Box 196
    Stillwater, MN 55082-0196
    Phone: (800) 328-2739


    Bills must be submitted within 90 days after the date of the injury or sickness, or as soon as reasonably possible. Information to identify the insured must be provided and should include: student name, patient name, address, student ID number or social security number, date of birth, and name of the school.


    Health insurance is also available for dependents. Please meet with your international student advisor to learn more.