Graduate Assistantships in the School of Education
About Graduate Assistantships:
Several Graduate Assistantships are available in the School of Education and the Department of Educational Studies each semester.
Graduate Assistants involve 14 or 20 hours of weekly professional responsibilities. Assistants with 33% appointments work about 14 hours/week; those with 50% appointments work about 20 hours per week.
Graduate Assistants are compensated based on their appointments, and receive a monthly paycheck. Health fringe benefits are also part of the Assistantship; as is a small tuition reimbursement.
- Decisions regarding graduate assistantship awards are made only after the applicant has been unconditionally admitted to a UW-L graduate program. Unconditional admittance requires a minimum overall undergraduate GPA of 3.0 on a four-point scale or a GPA of at least 3.0 for no less than 12 semester credits of graduate study at an accredited graduate school. Graduate assistant applicants who are currently enrolled must have achieved the status of “unconditional admittance.” Students admitted on probation or placed on probation while at UW-L are not eligible for graduate assistantships.
- Graduate assistants with a 50% appointment must carry no fewer than nine, or more than twelve, semester credits of graduate coursework during each semester of the academic year. Students with 33% appointments must carry no fewer than nine, or more than fourteen, credits per semester.
- Students may submit the School of Education (SOE) Graduate Assistantship Application as soon as their Application for Graduate Admission is submitted. These are two separate applications. Students may reapply for a graduate assistantship each year.
- The deadline for submission of the assistantship application is March 1st of each year or by the 1st of each month thereafter until all positions are filled.
- Applications are kept on file in the CLS office should positions become available.
Graduate Assistantships in other departments are also available on a limited basis.