University of Wisconsin-La Crosse |

Records and Registration
Expand menu

  • FAQ

    Registration/Schedule Changes (Drop/Add)

    When do I register for classes?

    You can find your enrollment date and time in your WINGS Student Center. Just log in to your WINGS account and you will find your date and time under 'Enrollment Dates' on the right side of the page. (You may need to click 'Details' for more information or to switch to the current term.)

    How do I register for classes?

    There is very helpful information on how to register online under the WINGS Student Center Help. In addition, our page offers supplementary tips to make registration easier.

    Can I be added to a wait list for closed classes?

    Students may choose to be added to a wait list for a closed class. The status of the class will indicate if the class has the wait list option (not all classes will have this capability). There is very helpful information on how to add to a wait list under the WINGS Student Center Help

    How are enrollment dates/times determined?

    Your enrollment date is determined by the number of credits you have earned so far (in-progress courses are not included in this total). Graduate students and undergraduate students with the most credits register first, and so on.

    Do veteran students get priority registration?

    Honorably discharged veterans are eligible for priority registration. Please bring a copy of your DD-214, Notice of Basic Eligibility or Active Duty Identification Card to Graff Main Hall room 116. 

    At UW-La Crosse priority registration allows students to register at the the beginning of their class level.

    Can I change my enrollment date/time?

    No - enrollment appointments are pre-assigned based on the number of credits you have earned so far. You may enroll and/or make changes to your schedule any time after your enrollment appointment through the first five days of classes. An enrollment appointment conflict with one of your classes is not considered an excused absence.

    I have a hold on my WINGS account and can't register. How do I take care of that?

    First, you will need to click 'Details' under your holds to find more information about the holds. How you can take care of the hold will depend on the campus office that initiated the hold. For example, if you have a hold from the Cashier's office (121 Graff Main Hall), you will need to contact them; if you have an advising hold, you will need to meet with your academic advisor; etc.

    Who is my advisor?

    You can find your assigned advisor's name on your WINGS Student Center page under 'Program Advisor' (right-hand side).

    Is it possible to get into a class that is full?

    The WINGS Student Center will not allow you to register for courses that are full (or require special permission from the instructor, department chair, and/or dean). You may be able to get an override into the class with permission from the instructor or add your name to the wait list if applicable.

    How do I get an override?

    Course override forms (blue) are available from the instructor or the department of the class you would like to override into. You will need to get all of the required signatures on the form and return it to Records and Registration in 117 Graff Main Hall.

    In most cases, electronic overrides can be used instead of paper through the first five days of instruction. Electronic overrides are done with the instructor or in the department or Dean's office depending on the restriction being overridden.

    Some classes are limited to students with certain majors. This restriction can only be overridden by the Dean's office of the college offering the course. Other classes require students to have a certain GPA or class standing (for example, junior standing). This restriction can only be overridden by the Dean of your college. Overriding the maximum credits allowed is also done by the Dean of your college.

    Only time conflicts and registering to audit need to be done by paper at all times. After the first five days of instruction, all overrides must be done by paper.

    (Exceptions apply for Summer and Winter sessions - see your instructor and/or department chair.)

    I want to take more than 18 credits. How do I do this?

    In order to exceed the maximum credit load of 18 credits ('overload'), you will need approval from the Dean of your college. Overloads are not approved for first semester freshmen or for any student with a cumulative grade point average less than 3.25.

    Overload Policy

    How do I drop a class?

    Students may drop courses via WINGS Student Center through the fifth day for a full semester course. After the fifth day students must have a drop/add form signed by the course instructor and then brought to 117 Graff Main Hall. The last day to drop a full semester class is one week after mid-semester

    I tried to drop my class on WINGS but it didn’t work. Why?

    You can only drop a class without permission through the first five days of instruction for a full semester course and the first two days for a half semester course. After that, you need to get your instructor’s or advisor’s signature in order to drop. Drop/Add forms can be picked up in the Records and Registration Office, 117 Graff Main Hall.

    More information on adding/dropping classes

    I dropped a class - can I get a tuition refund?

    Depending on when you dropped the class, you may be able to get a tuition refund. Please note that the drop/add deadlines are not the same as the tuition refund deadlines. Visit the Cashier's office page for more information about tuition refunds.

    Can I retake a class?

    You may repeat a course if you earned a 'D' or 'F' in the course. You may not repeat a course for which you have earned a 'C' or higher.

    Course Repeat Policy

    How will retaking a class affect my GPA?

    The most recent grade is what gets calculated into the GPA. Your previous grade will not be deleted from your academic record, but it will not be calculated in your cumulative GPA.

    Course Repeat Policy


    How do I get a duplicate of my official diploma?

    You may order a duplicate diploma by completing the Duplicate Diploma Order Form and sending it in with $15, cash or check. It takes 1-2 weeks to complete the order and mail it out to you.

    How do I get my diploma apostilled or notarized?

    An official copy of the UWL diploma is already considered notarized because it contains both the official school seal and the signatures of the appropriate state officials. However, many nations require the diploma to be apostilled as well. This can be done through the Wisconsin apostille process. You will need to send your official diploma to the State of Wisconsin for them to complete the process. A fee will be charged for this service.

    How do I change my name in UWL records?

    Official name changes must be done in the Records and Registration Office, 117 Graff Main Hall, with a Name Change Form. You will need to provide documentation such as a copy of a driver’s license, court decree or marriage certificate. We only need a copy of one of these items. You can return the form and documentation by email, mail, fax, or in person. Also, you have the option of changing your university email, and subsequently, your NetID at the same time. There will be a box to check at the bottom of the form if you decide you would like to update your email. This only applies to students who have a current working UWL email address. You will be notified by email on when the change to your ID will occur. 

    What is a 'W'?

    The 'W' stands for 'Withdraw'. If you withdraw from (drop) a class after the first five days of instruction, you will receive a 'W' on your transcript, indicating you have withdrawn from the class after the first five days of instruction.

    Generally 'W's do not negatively affect your transcript as long as you do not have an excessive amount of them. 'W's do not affect your GPA, and the university does not limit how many you can have. However, if you have concerns about how 'W's might affect certain graduate school applications or other future plans, contact your academic advisor.

    How do I get a copy of my official transcript?

    You can order a copy of your official transcript from the Records and Registration office online, in person or by mail. For transcript questions, please contact the Records Office at 608.785.8580.

    How do I get a copy of my unofficial transcript?

    You can find your unofficial transcript in your WINGS Student Center. Open the drop-down box on your WINGS Student Center page, click 'Transcript: View Unofficial', select 'Unofficial Enrollment: Both' and click 'View Report'. Your transcript will appear as a PDF file in a new tab or window. If your transcript does not open, check that the have pop-up blocker is disabled in your browser.

    For former students who were enrolled before the summer of 2009, unofficial transcripts cannot be obtained without ordering an official copy first. Official copies cost $10, but can be ordered online, by mail, or in person. If you want an unofficial copy to accompany the official one, please request that in the special instructions.

    Transcript Request Procedure

    I’m trying to order transcripts through my WINGS Student Center but I keep getting a message to fill in more information. I have filled in everything, but it won’t work. What should I do?

    If you are getting an error that says you need to fill in more information and everything is in red, you may be attempting to use a broken link in WINGS. If you searched for “official transcript” or “transcript” from the WINGS Student Center, that brings up an old form. You need to go directly to the working link which is on the first page of your WINGS Student Center.

    For official transcripts, go to the right hand side of your Student Center and find the 'Enrollment Resources' section. Click on 'Official Transcript' there and on the next page, choose the last option which is “order or track a transcript.”

    Can I get my transcript via email?

    Not directly. Our office cannot email transcripts directly to you, either unofficial or official. However, there is a way to have official transcripts sent to you electronically through the National Student Clearninghouse secure server. Please see the directions for ordering online on our transcript page. Official transcripts are $10.

    Some of my transfer credits don't seem to be transferring in correctly. How can I fix this?

    See the Assistant to the Dean in your college:

    College of Science and Health: 205 Graff Main Hall

    College of Liberal Studies: 260 Morris Hall

    College of Business Administration: 138 Wimberly Hall

    Student Records

    Where can I find my student ID number?

    State law prohibits universities from using Social Security numbers as ID numbers. All students are assigned a nine-digit number. It is very important to remember this number.

    All students who were assigned an ID number were notified in writing as part of the admission/acceptance communication. This is a confidential number, which means it cannot be given out via phone or e-mail if a student forgets his/her number. If you have lost or forgotten your student ID number, you can find it on a copy of your unofficial transcript in your WINGS Student Center. 

    Please note: Your student ID number is not the same as the number on your student ID card.

    Why can't my parent or guardian access my WINGS account?

    The Family Education Rights & Privacy Act (FERPA) provides that, with certain explicit exceptions, students have the right to determine who will see their educational records (confidentiality) and students have the right to see their education records (accessibility). If you would like to give your parent or guardian access to your student records, you can do it two ways. The first way is to give show them the UWL mobile app. You can give your parent guest access to the sections of your WINGS account that you specify when setting up their access. On the desktop WINGS, currently, parents and guardian can access your account by using your NetID and password, which you must give to them. This gives them access to everything you can access, including grades and billing.

    How do I get an enrollment/degree verification?

    You can find your enrollment verification in your WINGS Student Center. Once you are logged in to WINGS, you will find 'Enrollment Resources' on the right side of the page. Click 'Enrollment Verification' and follow the prompts.

    Verify Enrollment/Degree

    How do I add or change my major or minor?

    You can make changes to your program of study with a Change of Program form (green). These forms are available in the Dean's offices (below) or the Academic Advising Center (1140 Centennial Hall).

    College of Science and Health: 205 Graff Main Hall

    College of Liberal Studies: 260 Morris Hall

    College of Business Administration: 138 Wimberly Hall


    What is an 'Incomplete'?

    An incomplete grade ('I') is a temporary grading symbol (not a final course grade) which may be reported for a student who has carried a subject through the last date that one may withdraw from a course and then, because of illness or other unusual and substantiated cause beyond the student's control, has been unable to take or complete the final examination, or complete some limited amount of work. If you have not completed the course requirements after a year, your grade will be changed to an 'F'.

    More information about incomplete grades

    How do I take care of an 'Incomplete'?

    When an incomplete grade is requested, the student must file an Incomplete Grade Request with the instructor. The instructor will prepare and present to the student a written statement that describes the work that must be completed to remove the incomplete. Removal of an incomplete requires that the student satisfy the conditions set forth in the request.

    More information about incomplete grades


    How/When do I apply for graduation?

    Undergraduates: You are responsible for making sure all requirements for the degree have been met. While efforts are made to assess the accuracy of your Advisement Report (AR), your Dean's office confirms whether or not your degree is complete, and authorizes awarding of your degree. Be sure to confirm final degree requirements in your Dean's Office prior to registering for your final year. This can be done by making an appointment for a credit check. You should complete the "Apply For Graduation" found in your WINGS Student Center when you register for your final semester. December grads should file by May 1st. May or Summer grads should file by December 1st. On your WINGS Student Center page, open the drop-down box and click 'Apply for Graduation'. You will need to click 'Apply for Graduation' again under your program, and then follow the prompts. 

    Graduates: You should complete the "Apply For Graduation" found in your WINGS Student Center in the term in which you will successfully complete the thesis, comprehensive exams, or terminal project. On your WINGS Student Center page, open the drop-down box and click 'Apply for Graduation'. You will need to click 'Apply for Graduation' again under your program, and then follow the prompts. Students who are enrolled in GRC 798, GRC 799 or any other course should also apply if they know they will be finishing their graduation requirements in the current semester or the next can use their WINGS Student Center to apply for graduation. Students who have completed all required GRC 798 or 799 enrollments in a prior semester must contact the Records and Registration Office, 117 Graff Main Hall, to apply for graduation. 

    Associate: If you wish to apply for an Associate Degree or are in a Certificate program need to fill out a form in the Records and Registration Office, 117 Graff Main Hall. The graduation fee for associate degrees is $10 and will need to be paid at this time with check or cash.

    You will not receive a confirmation of success once you apply. However, if you have concerns that it did not go through or you can't remember if you applied, you may contact our office to verify at 608.785.8576608.785.8576.

    Why am I seeing a graduation fee on my bill?

    All undergraduate students with 95 credits and graduate students with 20 credits are automatically billed a one-time graduation fee. This fee covers the cost of graduation and commencement, and is assessed whether or not a student chooses to attend the ceremony. An additional cap and gown fee is paid at the bookstore when caps and gowns are picked up the week before the ceremony.

    What do I need to do for commencements? 

    The UW-La Crosse commencement staff has a wealth of commencement related information and resources that will help guide you through the process from ordering caps and gowns to details about the actual day.