University of Wisconsin-La Crosse |

Records and Registration

  • Graduate students

    Academic policies

    Graduate students should read the Graduate Catalog thoroughly for information pertaining to requirements for graduate studies, specific programs, academic policies and university policies.

    Note: Not all policies are applicable to undergraduate and graduate students alike.


    Graduate students who wish to drop/add classes prior to the start of the term may do so using the WINGS Student Center anytime after their initial registration. After the fifth day of instruction, graduates need the instructor's signature to drop/add a course. Please bring the signed drop/add form to Records and Registration, 117 Graff Main Hall. Please see the Graduate Catalog for other academic policies and start-up information.


    Graduate students are required to purchase textbooks for all courses they are enrolled in (including slash courses). Graduate students are not eligible to use Textbook Rental Services.

    Graduate student textbooks may be purchased (based on availability) through the University Bookstore.  


    Official grades are submitted at the end of each term and are available to students through the online WINGS Student Center. The college takes academic action at the end of each semester if a student fails to meet requirements. Grades are not mailed. Students with unsatisfactory grades are expected to seek counseling and help with their studies. Available resources include the instructor(s), adviser, and department tutors. Student services staff, particularly Counseling and Testing Center personnel, will provide assistance on a confidential basis. Students are encouraged to seek help at the earliest sign of academic difficulty. The university assumes that students will communicate regularly with interested parties (e.g. parents) with respect to academic status and progress.

    Repeating courses

    A graduate student can repeat up to two courses once in which a grade of 'C' or lower was earned and with the permission of the Program Director. Graduate Repeat Policy.

    Graduate research/comprehensive exams/terminal project completion policy

    This policy was designed for students completing a thesis, seminar paper or other culminating graduate projects. The purpose of the Continuous Registration Policy is to provide continued access to university faculty, technology, facilities and the library.  

    Thesis/Seminar paper approval

    The deadline to submit college-approved theses and seminar papers for approval is two weeks before graduation. Theses and seminar papers must be submitted to Steve Simpson, Director of Graduate Studies.


    Students should apply for graduation in the term in which they will successfully complete the thesis, comprehensive exams, or terminal project. Students who are enrolled in GRC 798, GRC 799 or any other course in the semester in which the degree will be awarded can use their WINGS Student Center to apply for graduation. Students who have completed all required GRC 798 or 799 enrollments in a prior semester must contact the Records and Registration Office, 117 Graff Main Hall to apply for graduation. 

    All graduate students with 20 credits are automatically billed a one-time graduation fee. This fee covers the cost of graduation and commencement, and is assessed whether or not a student chooses to attend the ceremony. An additional cap, gown, and hood fee is paid at the bookstore when these items are picked up the week before the ceremony.

    UW-La Crosse has a spring (May) and winter (December) commencement ceremony held at the La Crosse CenterAttendance at the commencement ceremonies is optional. Tickets are not required for guests to attend the commencement ceremony. However, it is recommended that students limit the number of guests to no more than six. The venue reaches full capacity with standing room only.  

    Continuing education
    Continuing Education and Extension offers courses for professionals, frequently at off campus sites. Call Continuing Education and Extension at (608) 785‑6507 for more information.
    Other links

    Academic Advising Portal

    Academic Department Listing

    Campus Map/Building Information

    Commencement Information

    Office of University Graduate Studies

    Registration information