RTF Template













The university establishes a fee schedule for each academic year. The fees are published for each term online at www.uwlax.edu/cashiers. If you have questions about current fees, contact the Cashier's Office, 121 Graff Main Hall. The Board of Regents reserves the right to change tuition and fees without published notice. All students are required to pay a non-refundable $100 tuition deposit before registering for classes. This is in addition to the $75 deposit paid by students who choose to live in a residence hall. A typical semester budget for a Wisconsin resident living on campus is approximately $6,500.


Billing reminders are sent via e-mail to the student's campus e-mail address. Billing information is confidential. By law, the university cannot release this information to anyone other than the student. It is the responsibility of the student to check campus e-mail and to make sure that the bill is routed to the proper individual for making payment.

Current billing information also can be viewed on the Web at www.uwlax.edu by clicking on Current Students and WINGS. A student ID# and PIN are required to access this electronic bill. Because this PIN allows access to other confidential information, such as grades and schedules, it is your decision as to whether or not to share your PIN with other individuals. Payment can be made electronically on the Web through WINGS.


Semester charges for tuition, room and board are due no later than the posted due date. You may elect either to pay the bill in full without interest by the billing due date or pay a portion of the balance due and be billed one month later for the remainder plus interest. All outstanding balances must be paid in full before you will be allowed to register for future terms.


Wisconsin resident undergraduate students who have earned 165 credits or 30 credits more than required for their degree programs, whichever is greater, are charged a surcharge equal to 100 percent of the regular resident tuition, on credits beyond that level. The policy covers all Wisconsin resident undergraduate students pursuing their first bachelor's degree, including students pursuing a double major. Minnesota residents and non-residents graduate, post-baccalaureate, and non-degree students are exempt. All credits earned at UW System campuses and WTCS transfer credits accepted toward a degree are counted in the total. Retroactive, AP, military and other college transfer credits do not count. The surcharge is applied to students in the semester following the one in which they reach the earned credit limit. Once it has been levied, a student has the right to appeal the surcharge to the assistant controller.


Your semester bill includes instructional fees (tuition) and segregated fees. The tuition charge is established by the Board of Regents. The fees are determined by the student government with the support of campus administration. They fund student services including the health center, textbook rental, student centers and the childcare center and activities such as athletics, intramurals and other organized activities.

Undergraduate course textbooks are available on a rental basis through the Textbook Rental Service. Textbook rental, for undergraduates, is included in the semester segregated fee. Undergraduates may purchase rental textbook titles through the University Bookstore on a special order basis. Students enrolled in graduate courses are expected to purchase their textbooks, which are available through the University Bookstore.

If you meet student health service requirements and pay the segregated fee at registration, you are eligible to receive outpatient care, physical therapy, radiography and laboratory service in the Health Center. Students carrying seven credits or more are automatically charged the segregated fee. Students carrying less than seven credits may choose to pay a health service fee. (A description of health care facilities and medical requirements for entering students can be found at www.uwlax.edu/studenthealth/)

The following services are not provided: medicines, eye refraction, care of families of married students, medical and surgical consultation outside of the Health Center, ambulance service, emergency room visits, hospitalization, house calls or after hours visits, dental visits, premarital examinations, pregnancy care, infertility studies, sterilization procedures, or abortion.

Check your current insurance policy to make sure you have adequate coverage for services not provided by the Health Center. If you do not have health insurance coverage, you may enroll in a student group insurance plan. If your current policy will expire during the school year, plan to purchase student group insurance at the beginning of the semester in which existing coverage will cease.


According to the Board of Regents policy, freshmen and sophomores who are not veterans, married students, or students residing in their parent's or guardian's home, must live in a university-operated residence hall when accommodations are available. Requests for exceptions to this policy must be made in writing to the Director of Residence Life.

Once you have been accepted and paid your registration fee, you will be sent directions about the online sign-up process. You will be directed to pay your $100 housing deposit and then complete the online housing application. Residence hall facilities, regulations, and programs are described here.

All students living in traditional residence halls must purchase one of the traditional Basic or Plus meal plans and are not eligible to be on any block plans. Students on the Basic Plan can choose to have 14 or 19 meals per week. The Plus Plan offers a choice of 14 or 19 meals per week and 30 Block meals for the semester. Students living in Reuter Hall may purchase a Reuter Block Plan or choose to be on one of the traditional meal plans. You will be given an opportunity to select a meal plan that best fits your eating preferences. Should you find that your meal plan needs are different than you anticipated, you may request changes during the first two weeks of school. Students may change their meal plan at the end of the semester by visiting the Meal Plan/ID Card Office, 223 Cartwright Center.

Contract board service is provided in Whitney Center. Catering and other dining areas are available in Cartwright Center for commuters as well as resident students. Dining service is available only when the university is in session. Limited dining options are available during Winter intersession and summer term. Further information may be obtained from the Meal Plan/ID Card Office, 223 Cartwright Center.


Most financial aid programs are based on financial need. This is demonstrated by applying a federal need analysis formula to the student and family financial information provided on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Exceptions to the financial need requirement include the Wisconsin Academic Excellence scholarship, Counselor's Choice scholarships, Return to Wisconsin scholarships, some UW-L Foundation scholarships, Federal Unsubsidized loans and Federal Parent Plus loans.

Admission to the university is a prerequisite to consideration for financial aid. Special non-degree students are not eligible for aid unless they are working toward an approved license or certificate.  

Students must demonstrate satisfactory academic progress in order to receive aid. Several other federal and state requirements need to be met in order to receive financial aid. These include proper citizenship status, registration with the Selective Service System, and not being in default on any federal student loan.

All financial aid applicants must file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at www.fafsa.gov. File the FAFSA by March 15 for priority consideration, although applications are accepted throughout the academic year. A paper version of the FAFSA is available by calling 1-800-433-3243 or selecting 'FAFSA filing options' at www.studentaid.ed.gov.

Students whose application is selected for verification by the United States Department of Education or the Financial Aid Office will be required to submit student and parent federal income tax return transcripts (copies of tax returns do not meet this requirement) to the Financial Aid Office. Other documents may also be required.

Students who complete their application by the March 15 priority date can usually expect to receive a financial aid offer by July 15. Students who complete their application after March 15 will receive a financial aid offer as soon as possible after July 15. Applications received after June 1 may not be processed in time for students to receive their aid by the start of the fall semester. These students should be prepared to pay their initial expenses from their own resources.

FEDERAL PELL GRANT: These need-based grants are available to qualified undergraduate students.

FEDERAL SUPPLEMENTAL EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITY GRANT: These need-based grants are available to qualified undergraduate students.              

WISCONSIN HIGHER EDUCATION GRANT: These need-based grants are available to qualified undergraduate students who are Wisconsin residents.

TALENT INCENTIVE PROGRAM GRANT: These need-based grants are available to qualified undergraduate students who are Wisconsin residents and demonstrate exceptional financial need.

FUND FOR WISCONSIN SCHOLARS: These need-based grants are available to select group of qualified lower income undergraduate students who are recent graduates of Wisconsin public high schools.

RETURN TO WISCONSIN SCHOLARSHIPS: These scholarships provide a 25% discount of non-resident tuition to children and grandchildren of UW-L graduates.

NON-RESIDENT FEE WAIVERS: These need-based grants are available to residents of states other than Wisconsin and Minnesota.

WISCONSIN GI BILL TUITION WAIVER: This program is available to eligible veterans who entered active duty as a Wisconsin resident, or a spouse or dependent of a deceased or disabled eligible veteran.

WISCONSIN STUDY ABROAD GRANT: These need-based grants are available to Wisconsin residents who study abroad through the UW-L Office of International Education.

WISCONSIN ACADEMIC EXCELLENCE SCHOLARSHIP: This program is available to top students at Wisconsin high schools. The program is administered by local school boards, the Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction and the Wisconsin Higher Educational Aids Board.

LAWTON UNDERGRADUATE MINORITY RETENTION GRANT: These grants are available to statutorily defined ethnic minority sophomores, juniors and seniors who are in good standing academically and are residents of Wisconsin or Minnesota. 

NATIVE AMERICAN INDIAN GRANTS (FEDERAL/TRIBAL/WISCONSIN): Native American students should file an application with their tribe.

FOREIGN STUDENT SCHOLARSHIPS: These partial non-resident fee waivers are available to qualified international students. International students should file an application with the Office of International Education.

ACADEMIC INITIATIVE AWARDS: These programs are student funded and offer funds to international students and students studying abroad. Students should file an application with the Office of International Education. Submission of a services plan does not necessarily guarantee that the student will receive an Academic Initiative Award.

FEDERAL SUBSIDIZED LOAN: This loan is available to students who demonstrate financial need. Students borrow from the Department of Education and the federal government pays the interest while the student is in school. Interest is at a fixed rate. Repayment begins six months after the student ceases to be at least a half-time student.

FEDERAL UNSUBSIDIZED LOAN: This loan does not require that the student demonstrate financial need as a result of filing the FAFSA. The terms are the same as the Federal Subsidized Loan except that the student is responsible for all interest charges from the date of disbursement of the loan forward. Interest is at a fixed rate of 6.8%, but is subject to change.

FEDERAL PERKINS LOAN: This need-based loan is available to qualified students who demonstrate exceptional financial need. The loan is interest-free as long as the student is at least a half-time student. Repayment begins nine months after the student ceases half-time enrollment. Limited funding.

FEDERAL PARENT PLUS LOAN: Parents of dependent undergraduate students are eligible to borrow from the Department of Education under this program. To apply, visit www.uwlax.edu/finaid. Parents must be credit-worthy.

EMERGENCY SHORT TERM LOAN: These loans are for emergency purposes only. The applicant must have completed at least one semester at UW-L, be in good academic standing and be a full-time student. Apply at the Student Financial Aid Office.

FEDERAL WORK-STUDY PROGRAM: This need-based program provides on-campus and off-campus employment to qualified students. Students who do not qualify for Federal Work-Study can work on campus on the regular student help payroll. These students should apply at academic departments and administrative units. Students can also search for off-campus jobs in the private sector at the Financial Aid Office Web site's Job Board at www.uwlax.edu/finaid.

UW-L SCHOLARSHIPS: The UW-L Foundation awards several hundred scholarships each year to incoming freshmen and continuing students. For more information or an application, go to  www.foundation.uwlax.edu/sch.html or contact the UW-L scholarship coordinator at (608) 785-8491.

PRIVATE SCHOLARSHIPS: Students may want to search for private scholarships on the Internet or at  www.uwlax.edu/finaid/scholarships.html. These private non-profit resources maintain large databases of private scholarships and do not charge for information.

Unless previously negotiated, all aid awards are based on full-time student status. Students carrying less than a full-time load will have their aid reduced accordingly. It is the student's responsibility to make sure the application is complete and moving through the processing system. Funding levels and regulations are subject to change at any time per state or federal budgetary and legislative mandates. Students who withdraw, either officially or unofficially, may need to repay money to federal and state financial aid programs and will be required to pay any resulting balance due to the university. For additional information, visit www.uwlax.edu/finaid. For questions, call (608) 785-8604 or e-mail finaid@uwlax.edu.

Federal financial aid regulations limit the number of times a single course can be aided. Once a student has passed a class, that class can only be funded with financial aid once more. Please note this is different from the academic policy of UW-La Crosse. Even if a student is allowed to register for a course multiple times, it may not be considered when calculating a financial aid award if it exceeds the financial aid regulations.


Federal Law mandates that post secondary institutions participating in Federal Financial Aid Programs have in place and monitor an academic progress policy for financial aid. The components to the UW-La Crosse Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) Policy for financial aid are as follows: Grade point average (GPA), Pace (67% Rule), and Maximum Time Frame (150% Rule).

1. Grade Point Average (GPA):
All undergraduate students receiving financial aid must maintain a 2.0 UW-L cumulative GPA, while graduate students receiving financial aid must maintain a UW-L cumulative GPA of 3.0. Note that this GPA requirement is different from the Retention, Probation and Suspension requirements listed in the Undergraduate catalog. Students receiving financial aid must follow both. Transfer credits are not included in the UW-L cumulative GPA calculation. Grades of W and P are not factored into this calculation once a cumulative GPA is established. Students enrolled in both undergraduate and graduate courses must meet the requirements of the degree seeking career, while students seeking a certificate will be required to follow the undergraduate GPA requirements.

2. Pace (67% Rule):
All full-time and part-time undergraduate and graduate students at UW-La Crosse who receive financial aid must stay on pace to graduate on time. Pace is calculated by dividing the cumulative number of credits a student successfully completed by the cumulative number of credits they have attempted. (See note regarding completed and attempted credits). When this calculation falls below 67%, a student is no longer on pace to graduate on time. Transfer credits that count toward a student's program are considered within this calculation as credits attempted and credits earned.

3. Maximum Time Frame (150% Rule):
An eligible undergraduate, graduate, or 2nd degree seeking student can receive Federal financial aid while attempting up to, but not exceeding, 150% of the published normal completion length of the student's program, regardless of enrollment status. For example, a student seeking a degree which requires 120 credit hours could receive financial aid while attempting 180 credit hours (120 X 150% = 180). Credits transferred to UW-La Crosse, and any credits attempted at UW-L, with or without the benefit of student financial aid, must be taken into consideration. Financial aid will be suspended when our office determines that a student cannot mathematically complete their degree within this timeframe.

Payment Period - Fall semester/Spring semester/Summer (if attended)
Warning Status - assigned to one payment period, to a student who fails to make SAP after any payment period.
Suspension - assigned to a student who fails to meet SAP in the payment period after being placed on Warning Status. Student must complete appeal process to reinstate financial aid eligibility.
Probation Status - assigned for one payment period, to a student who has appealed and has had eligibility for financial aid reinstated. Specific terms are given to students with this status. For example, student may have to complete a certain percentage of credits attempted in the next payment period.

These components are evaluated every payment period (Fall/Spring/Summer) after grades are posted. The first time that a student does not meet the GPA, Pace, or is approaching Maximum Time Frame requirement, they will be notified via campus email that they are being automatically placed on Warning Status for one payment period. By the next evaluation, the student must be meeting all components of SAP to be placed back in good standing. If not, the student's financial aid will be suspended and they must complete an Appeal for Financial Aid Reinstatement and explain why they failed to meet SAP and what has changed that will allow them to meet SAP by the next evaluation. All appeals must supply an academic plan showing when the student will be meeting all aspects of the SAP policy. If it will take more than one semester to be meeting the  SAP policy, the academic plan must be signed by an academic advisor. Students with an undeclared major should meet with Academic Advising and students with a declared major should meet with the Dean of their college to create this plan. Whoever the student meets with must sign off on the academic plan. Templates are available on our website www.uwlax.edu/finaid. If the appeal is approved, the student is placed on Academic Plan Status for one payment period, after which, the student must be meeting SAP or be following their approved academic plan. If the student is not meeting SAP/following their approved academic plan at the next evaluation, they will be suspended again and could become ineligible to receive financial aid until they are in compliance.

Students with extenuating circumstances that prevented them from making SAP have the right to appeal their situation. Extenuating circumstances include, but are not limited to, student injury or illness, death of a student's relative or other reasons resulting in undue hardship to the student. Students must turn in the Appeal for Financial Aid Reinstatement Form, unofficial copy of their UW-L transcript, an Advisor approved academic plan, and any other related documentation. Per Federal regulations, an appeal may only be approved if the student shows that they will be able to meet SAP at the next evaluation, or the student's academic plan ensures SAP by a specific point in time. Incomplete/inaccurate appeals or Academic Plans will not be approved. A committee of financial aid staff will act on the appeal and notify the student with the decision of the committee and the terms of their probation, if approved, via campus email. All decisions are final. There is no limit on the number of appeals allowed, however, students requesting numerous appeals may be denied. If denied, the student may attend UW-L, without financial aid, and re-appeal when all components of SAP are being met.

Credits Completed: The successful completion of a credit attempted is credit for which a grade of A, AB, B, BC, C, D, S, or P is received. The grade of D for a Graduate Student is not considered as successful completion of the credit(s) attempted.

Attempted Credits: The grades of A, AB, B, BC, C, D, S, P, U, F, I, W, WP, WF, EP, EF, NA, and NR are considered credits attempted. Attempted credits are calculated after the 100% adjustment to tuition and fees period (typically the 10th day of classes).

Any credit drop after the 100% adjustment to tuition and fees, without an equal number of credits being added the same date of the drop, or at a later date, will count as credit(s) attempted and credit(s) not earned. Credit drops affect the Pace and Maximum Timeframe components.

Withdrawal from the University (All classes) as of the first day of classes will count as credit(s) attempted and credits(s) not earned unless all aid is cancelled and returned. A withdrawal affects the Pace and Maximum Timeframe components. The GPA component is affected if the withdrawal is in the student's first term.

Incompletes: Count as credit(s) attempted and credit(s) not earned until a passing grade is posted. It is the student's responsibility to notify the financial aid office of any change in grade using an Appeal for Financial Aid Reinstatement Form and attaching a copy of the student's most recent, unofficial UW-L transcript. If the incomplete appeal results in the student being eligible for financial aid again, eligibility will be reinstated as of the date the appeal is approved. No action from the student will result in the student's new pace and GPA to not be evaluated until the end of the payment period in which the incomplete grade was converted.  Incompletes affect the Pace and Maximum Timeframe components.

Repeated Credits: Counted as attempted credits as many times as the course is repeated. Repeating credits apply to GPA, Pace, and Maximum Timeframe Components. *Please note that this is different from UW-L's Repeat Credit Policy.

Remedial Credits: Counted in Pace and Maximum Timeframe. Grades of F are calculated into GPA.

Audited Courses: Not funded by financial aid and not considered under any aspect of the SAP Policy unless a student changes their course to Audit after the 100% adjustment to tuition and fee period. This would affect Pace and Maximum Timeframe.

Consortium Agreements: Credits count in the Pace and Maximum Timeframe components.

Double Major: Students pursuing a 1st and 2nd major at the same time will only be allowed 150% of the credits needed towards their first major. This could result in needing to appeal Maximum Timeframe.

Winter Intersession: If a students attends a Winter Intersession course that positively affects their SAP Status (bringing their GPA or Pace calculation into an acceptable range) it is the student's responsibility to notify the Financial Aid Office of that change on an Appeal for Financial Aid Reinstatement Form.

For help calculating UW-L cumulative GPA, see the following website. Remember: only include UW-L credits in your GPA calculation. http://www.uwlax.edu/sah/ess/sm/html/semester.htm.


Many scholarships and awards have been established by alumni, faculty and staff, parents, students, businesses, and organizations. Recipients are selected by scholarship committees on the basis of an application, grade point average and other materials as deemed appropriate by departmental committees. Scholarships are presented to students whose qualifications best fit the stipulations of the donor. Approximately one-half million dollars is awarded each year. Amounts vary annually based on funding from gifts or investment earnings available from a fund. Almost all scholarships are contingent upon full-time enrollment both fall and spring semesters at UW-L. Scholarships and awards are usually paid for the academic year in two payments, the first half in the fall semester and the other half in the spring semester.

Information about all scholarships administered by the University of Wisconsin-La Crosse Foundation, Inc. is available on the web at www.foundation.uwlax.edu/sch.html.

Scholarship applications are available to currently enrolled students or admitted incoming students on the UW-L Foundation Office website. All applications (unless otherwise indicated) must be submitted to the UW-L Foundation Office. Applications are submitted to various offices that offer scholarships based on academic majors; please refer to the scholarship website. The deadline for scholarship applications is February 15 each year. Scholarships and awards are announced at the honors reception set for the last Monday in April. For more information, call (608) 785-8491.

The University also administers an interest-free, short-term emergency loan program to students in need, provided they are enrolled for a full credit load of non-repeat courses. The Financial Aid Office, 215 Graff Main Hall, has more information and application forms.


The University of Wisconsin-La Crosse Foundation, Inc., is an independent non-profit, tax-exempt Wisconsin corporation, and a tax-exempt public charity under Section 501(c) (3) of the Internal Revenue Code. Created in 1967 to promote the welfare of the University of Wisconsin-La Crosse, it accomplishes this by encouraging, soliciting, receiving, managing and administering gifts from alumni, friends, businesses and other programs that advance the mission of the University. Gifts to the Foundation are tax deductible to the fullest extent of the law as applied to the individual circumstances of each donor.


The university is fully approved for the education of veterans and veterans' dependents under both federal and state programs. New students who qualify for benefits should report to the Veterans Benefits Coordinator in the Records and Registration Office, 116 Graff Main Hall, before or during registration. After this initial contact, registered students should keep the benefits coordinator apprised of their status and needs each semester.

If you receive support from veteran programs, you are required to report to the Records and Registration Office after registering for classes each semester to complete an enrollment verification form. The university certifies your attendance and credit load to the Veterans Administration based on the enrollment verification form.

Payments of veterans' benefits depend on the number of credits carried. Students should carry at least 12 credits during the semester to receive full benefits under most programs. Payment will be awarded according to the schedule below. Contact the Veterans Benefits' Coordinator for summer term rules.

Undergraduate Credits     Enrollment/Benefits Status
               12+                                      Full-time
                9-11                                    3/4 time
                6-8                                      1/2 time