Admissions and Graduate Assistantships
The following links provide information regarding admission to the Exercise and Sport Science, Graduate Physical Education-Teaching program and other graduate programs at the University of Wisconsin-La Crosse.
- UW-L Graduate School Admission (link includes an online application for admission): https://apply.wisconsin.edu/
- Graduate Programs in the College of Science and Health: ../../../html/gradprograms.htm
- Other Graduate Programs at UW-L: http://www.uwlax.edu/Graduate/gradprograms.htm
There are several types of assistantships offered in the Graduate Physical Education Teaching program:
- Activity Course Teaching: Teaching physical education elective courses to college students (see page 3 of Graduate Assistantship application for preference listing), First Aid/CPR courses, and/or assist with freshman level Healthy Lifestyle general education required course.
- Teaching Elementary/Secondary Physical Education: Plan and implement developmental instructional program in local elementary schools, and assist university faculty with clinical supervision of undergraduate physical education teaching majors. Must possess current physical education teaching certification by starting date of assistantship (mid August). Only students in the Physical Education Teaching program are eligible for these positions.
- Adventure Education: Teaching adventure education & outdoor pursuits is the ESS activity program. Courses could include rock climbing, backpacking, canoeing, mountain biking, etc. Additional duties would include facilitating challenge course experiences & indoor rocking experiences for the community groups.
- Adapted Physical Education: Several assistantships are available for graduate students admitted to the Adapted Physical Education Concentration.
Please follow this link to download a Graduate Assistantship application.
Contact Dr. Jeff Steffen for more information on available assistantships or for details on the tuition waivers and/or cash stipends which may come with assistantships.