Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Q: How do I set-up Physical Therapy appointments as recommended by my doctor?

A: Simply call the PT appt desk (608-785-5120) to set up an evaluation appointment.  We will ask for current information about you and your injury/surgery and arrange and evaluation time that works with your class schedule.  Evaluations last approximately one hour so plan accordingly.  During your initial visit, you will register at the SHC and then will be directed to the PT appt desk.  After evaluation, follow-up PT sessions will be set-up as needed.  You may have MD orders FAXed to us (608-785-5146) or bring them along to your first PT appointment.

Q: Do I need a prescription/referral for PT from another healthcare provider?

A: No--in Wisconsin physical therapists can evaluate and treat patients (within the PT scope of practice) without a referral from another healthcare provider.  However, we do like to have copies of any information that your primary care provider, surgeon, and/or previous PT provided to you (e.g. rehab protocol, exercise instructions).  For patients who need rehab after a surgical procedure, we also like to see (but don't require) a copy of your operative report if one is available.  These items can be hand-carried to your SHC PT appointment or FAXed to us (608-785-5146). 

Q: Is the Student Health Center staffed by students?

A: No--the Student Health Center is a fully staffed medical clinic with outpatient physical therapy.  Under the direction of a Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine, we are staffed with Board-Certified Medical Doctors (MD’s), Registered Nurses (RN’s), Medical Assistants (MA’s), Medical Laboratory Technicians (MLT’s), Board-Certified Physical Therapists (PT’s) and Physical Therapist Assistants (PTA’s).  Being an educational institution, we do offer a number of clinical experiences for students and therefore students may be involved in your evaluation and/or treatment.

Q: Do you offer same-day or walk-in PT appointments?

A: Same-day and walk-in urgent care/triage visits are available for patients with more severe injuries/problems that warrant immediate attention.  These visits are usually brief due to scheduling constraints and intended to determine if radiographs (x-rays) or immediate referral to another healthcare provider are needed and/or to improve function & comfort with bracing, crutches, etc. until a more thorough examination can be performed.  Urgent care utilization is determined by immediacy/urgency of need—NOT scheduling convenience.  Severity is based upon the impact of the injury/problem on ability to function as a student.  Thus patients with significant difficulty walking or writing due an injury/problem will be given priority for same-day or walk-in appointments over patients who are symptomatic but able to function well academically.  Individuals with non-urgent needs will be scheduled as soon as possible for full-length evaluations.  Common musculoskeletal problems often require a full evaluation to determine the best course of treatment.  Urgent care visits are not adequate for this.    

Q: What if I miss a PT appointment?

A: If you fail to notify us prior to your appointment, a $10.00 No Show charge will be posted to your student bill.  This charge does NOT apply to appointments that are cancelled or changed prior to the scheduled appointment time.

Q: What should I do if my pain/problem worsens prior to my next scheduled PT appointment?

A: STOP any activities/exercises (including exercises we’ve recommended) that seem to be making your pain/problem worse, and call us (608-785-5120) to move your appointment up to the next available time slot.  Alternatively (or in addition to) you can call and talk to Lori (608-785-8769) or Chris (608-785-8562) directly if you’d like.  

Q: What should I do if my pain/problem resolves before my next PT appointment?

A: If you don’t need further PT, call our front desk (608-785-5120) to cancel your remaining appointments.  Make sure to tell the receptionist that you are cancelling your appointments because your pain/problem has resolved.

Q: Do you have wheelchairs to sell, rent, borrow?

A: No--we don't have wheelchairs.  Local medical supply vendors may be able to assist you in procuring a wheelchair.

Q: Can you provide Handicapped parking stickers?

A: No--contact the parking office for any parking-related questions or needs.

Q: Do I need to pay for PT services at the SHC?

A: Click on the "fees and costs" link on the left side of the page for the answer to this question.

Q: Can I use the SHC PT department for general conditioning and strengthening?

A: No--our facilities are for rehabilitation only & cannot be used for conditioning or as a substitute for a health club.

Q: What should I wear for my PT appointments?

A: For evaluations, we ask that you wear/bring shorts for ANY leg, ankle, foot, pelvis, hip, low back conditions. Women should wear/bring a sports-bra, bikini top, or tube top for ANY arm, shoulder, neck, or back conditions. Please bring your current running shoes for ANY running related problems. For treatment, closed-toed athletic shoes & (appropriate) workout clothes must be worn while exercising in our gym.