Conflict Resolution Services
The Win-Win Approach to Dealing with ConflictStudent Life Office
149 Graff Main Hall
What are the Advantages of Using Conflict Resolution Services?
- The Conflict Resolution Services provided by the Student Life Office are fast, free, and informal.
- We can assist with a mediation session within seven days.
- This is not a formal record that will result in a court, police, or student file record.
- All mediation sessions are held privately and confidentially.
- Sessions focus on problem-solving rather than placing blame, and thus gets away from unhealthy ways of dealing with conflict.
What is Conflict Resolution Services?
Conflict Resolution Services is a completely voluntary and confidential proces that helps two or more people in conflict talk about their issues and concerns, and then try to reach a constructive resolution.
Mediators are trained, neutral facilitators who help the parties in a conflict work together to reach an agreeable solution. Mediators do not make decisions about who is right or wrong or how things should be resolved. All decisions are made by the parties themselves.
Goals of Conflict Resolution
To provide a safe environment in which individuals in conflict can:
- Have time to have their concerns heard by everyone involved, with the benefit of having a neutral mediator;
- Address the problem directly and efficiently; and
- Formulate a solution to the current problem or resolve future problems if they occur.
Alternative Dispute Resolution is Not:
- Legal representation;
- Personal or partner counseling;
- A replacement for university misconduct procedures; or
- A court to determine blame and innocence
What Types of Concerns are Appropriate for Conflict Resolution Services?
Conflict Resolution Services is designed to handle interpersonal disputes between two or more students in an interdependent living or working situation. Examples of these could include, but are not limited to:
- Phone & utility bills
- Study habits
- Borrowed or broken items
- Noise levels
- Relationship problems & misunderstandings
Organization / Work
- Conflicting work styles
- Unresolved conflicts or issues that affect work performance and satisfaction