Casting & Audition Policy
Casting decisions are made primarily by the production director and by the Department of Theatre Arts Chair when necessary. The department supports the principle of non-traditional casting. Non-traditional casting is the use of ethnic minority actors (African American, Asian, Hispanic, Native American, etc.), female actors, and physically challenged actors in roles where race, ethnicity, gender and/or physical capabilities are not absolutely essential to the character's development.
- Any UWL student enrolled with at least 3 credits are
eligible to audition for Department of Theatre Arts
- It is understood that any theatre major/minor
auditioning for a production, including SummerStage, who has
not specified that the audition is "for experience only"
agrees to accept any role on the cast list awarded by the
director. Failure to accept the role (i.e. turning
down the role), except under extenuating circumstances, will
forfeit the next casting possibility within the department
for that student.
- The nature of auditioning is competitive and the faculty
endeavors to cast from the efforts of a specific audition
and not past histories, accomplishments or previous roles.
- Majors are ineligible to audition with a GPA below 2.0.
(Music Theatre Majors: Please see the Music Theatre
- All Theatre Arts majors are required to audition:
- Performance/Music Theatre students must audition for each department production.
- Design/Technical/General Studies/Management
students must audition for a least one production each
- UWL faculty members may be cast if the qualities
demonstrated are deemed necessary for a production.
- Members of the La Crosse community may audition with
prior approval of the Department of Theatre Arts.
- In production requiring children, the director will
establish procedures with the department chair for
auditioning child actors.
- In the rare instance when a role cannot be cast through the audition process, the department will determine procedures for filling the role.
Role Acceptance Policy
It is understood that any theatre major/minor auditioning for a production, including SummerStage, who has not specified that the audition is “for experience only” agrees to accept any role awarded by the director on the cast list. Failure to accept the role (i.e. turning down the role), except under extenuating circumstances, will forfeit the next casting possibility within the department for that student.