University of Wisconsin-La Crosse |

University Centers

Expand page menu
Skip to page menu
  • Financial Aid information

    What options are available for receiving financial aid change checks from the university?

    You may choose one of the following options regarding your financial aid change checks: 

    • You may activate the OneAccount, an FDIC insured bank account. Funds will be direct deposited into the OneAccount. 
    • You may have funds direct deposited to the bank of your choice. 
    • You may have a paper check mailed to the address you select.  

    What happens if I never activate my Tower OneCard and I am due a financial aid change check?

    You will be sent an e-mail notification indicating that UWL has processed a financial aid change check for you. It will advise you to log on to HigherOne to activate your card and select your payment method. Failure to activate your card and select a payment method will result in your financial aid change check being mailed to you 21 days later.

    What are the advantages of having my financial aid change check direct deposited into my Tower OneAccount?

    You can choose to access your monies quicker and easier than ever before by electing to have your financial aid change check deposited directly into your OneAccount via an Easy Refund. The OneAccount is an FDIC-insured bank account that has no monthly fees and no minimum balance. When money is deposited into your account, you will receive an Easy Refund e-mail confirmation. Then you can use your TowerCard to access your money or make purchases anywhere MasterCard Debit is accepted. In addition, you will be able to see the details of your OneAccount by accessing your statement at

    What happens if I select to have my financial aid change checks direct deposited to another bank account?

    You must activate your TowerCard and select the option to have your monies directly deposited into another account. You will then be required to print, complete, and mail, fax, or upload the Third Party Form (available at to the address/phone number indicated on the form. When HigherOne receives the form, and your monies are made available by UWL, your funds will be deposited into your designated bank account in one to three business days.

    What if I select to have my financial aid change check mailed to me as a paper check?

    You must activate your TowerCard and select the option to have a paper check mailed to you. Once UWL makes the monies available, HigherOne will mail a check to the address you designate within two business days. Depending on the mailing time, your check should be delivered to your address within four to five business days. Please keep your address up to date on the HigherOne site when selecting the paper check option.

    Are there fees associated with using the OneAccount?

    Yes, there can be usual and customary fees associated with the OneAccount:
    If you use an ATM machine that is not a HigherOne designated ATM machine, you will be assessed a fee by that specific institution in addition to a $2.50 per transaction fee charged by HigherOne. For a complete list of fees visit If you initiate a debit purchase by entering your PIN number instead of a signature-based debit card transaction, you will be assessed 50 cents per transaction.

    Is there a maximum amount I can withdraw on a daily basis through my TowerCard?

    Yes, there is a maximum daily ATM withdrawal of $500 and a maximum limit of $2,500 on any signature-based debit card transactions.

    What happens if I incur charges at UWL after my financial aid change check is processed?

    You will receive a billing statement if any additional charges are incurred after your financial aid change check is processed. You are responsible for payment of these charges by the published due date.

    What if I have questions concerning my financial aid change check?

    Please contact the Cashier’s Office at 608.785.8719.

    What if I have questions concerning the use of the card?

    Contact the card office at 608.785.8891,, or stop in at 223 Cartwright.

    What if I have questions concerning my banking options?

    The fastest and easiest way to get answers to your questions is through Easy Help at