University of Wisconsin-La Crosse |

University Centers

Expand page menu
Skip to page menu
  • ID card FAQ (frequently asked questions)

    I do not want the HigherOne Debit Account, do I have to activate my card?

    Yes, the UWL ID card is more than just a debit card. This is your ID card to access many things on campus. Until the card is activated it will not work on campus. This includes meal plans, campus cash, and Res Hall access.

    Do I have to open up the debit account?

    No, the debit account is there for convenience. This account is only opened if you choose it to be.

    What is the difference between the TowerOne account and Campus Cash?

    The TowerOne account is the debit account that is associated with HigherOne banking. This account can be used anywhere MasterCard is accepted. This is the student's own personal bank account.

    Campus Cash is an internal debit account that can be spent on campus. Uses for this include coffee shops, Pepsi machines, laundry, dining locations, and bookstore.

    What is the difference between Maroon Dollars and Campus Cash?

    The 2 accounts spend the same in dining locations and coffee shops. The difference is the Maroon Dollars can only be spents at dining locations and coffee shops, Campus Cash can be spent there also, but can also be used for the bookstore, laundry, Pepsi, and printing. Maroon Dollars can not be carried over from semester to semester even if requested, but the campus cash can be.

    Does Campus Cash carry over from year to year?

    To have Campus Cash carry over from one academic year to the next, a request does need to be made at the Meal Plan/Card office at 223 Cartwright.

    How do I add Campus Cash to my account?

    You can add Campus Cash with a credit/debit card or add to your tuition bill through GET Funds or you can come to the card office at 223 Cartwright with cash, check, or bill to the tuition account. Please remember that the maximum billable amount per year is $1000.00.

    How much does it cost to replace a lost ID?

    The cost to replace a lost or stolen card is $20.00. This is charged to your student bill and can be paid with the tuition bill. We do need to charge this, because we get charged when we order these replacement cards.

    Does it cost anything to replace a broken card?

    There is no cost for a broken or damaged card, however, you do need to bring the broken/damaged card to the card office when you order a new card. This broken/damaged card does need to be the most recent card you have had.

    Do I need this card in order to do laundry?

    You do need an ID card with Campus Cash on it to do laundry in the Residence halls. The laundry machines do not take cash.

    Can I change my picture on this card?

    No, your picture cannot be changed. The picture you take for your first card is the picture you use for your entire undergrad enrollment.

    What are the policies regarding student ID's?


    The UW-La Crosse Identification Card is used to authorize the use of campus resources. It serves to verify current student status at UW-La Crosse. The photo that is taken must conform to the following guidelines, consistent with a current United States Passport:

    • Photo must be in in full-face view directly facing the camera.

    • Photo must be taken with a neutral facial expression and both eyes open.

    • The photo must present the full head from the top of the hair to the bottom of the chin.

    • Hats and head coverings are only allowed if they are worn daily for religious purposes. The full face must be visible and the head covering cannot obscure the hairline or cast shadows on the face.

    • Prescription eye glasses worn on a daily basis can be worn for the photo. Tinted glasses may only be worn if they are prescribed for medical reasons. A medical certificate may be required. To avoid glare, tilt glasses downward slightly.

    • Uniforms, clothing that looks like a uniform, and camouflage attire should not be worn in photos except in the case of religious attire that is worn daily.

    • Headphones, wireless hands-free devices, or similar items are not acceptable to be worn.