Minutes: May 8, 2007

Present: Van Roosenbeek, Richter, Veglahn, Jacobson, Robinson, Heyer, Brunk

Excused: Weiland

Meeting called to order at 3:07 p.m.

I. Welcom 

II. Introduction

III. Minutes

Motion to approve: Heyer, second; Robinson.  PASSED

IV. Recognition of departing Council Members

-          Wayne Jacobson and Debbie Veglahn

-          They were presented with Certificates of Appreciation and gifts from the council.

-          Also recognized, Liz Peyer – Office Assistant.

Meeting adjourned at 3:17 p.m.



Present: Van Roosenbeek, Richter, Robinson, Heyer, Brunk, Vahala, Lo, Handley, Leahy, Burton

Excused: Weiland

Meeting called to order at 3:18 pm 

I.  Officers

Debbie Veglahn gave a brief description of the Academic Staff Representative position and what it entails.

II. Elections

Discussed the possibility of co-chairs.  The possibility of delaying the elections was brought up.  Want to do it so members have more time for consideration.  If Van Roosenbeek continues as Chair for May and June, Council members will then have their contracts and will be able to determine if they have the time for an executive position.  Would also ask Veglahn to continue as Academic Staff Representative until a new one is appointed.  Would meeting late June or early July to elect officers.

Motion is postpone the elections until no later than June 28th: Richter, second: Heyer.  APPROVED

Motion the Veglahn continue to act as AS Representative to Madison and Van Roosenbeek to continue as Interim Chair until the June Meeting: Robinson, second: Leahy.  APPROVED.

III. Summer Leadership Conference

Brunk, Van Roosenbeek and Burton are going.  Check your calendar to see if you can attend.  Lo is also interested in attending.  Liz will check to see if there is a registration deadline.  Let Van Roosenbeek know by May 18 if you are interested in going. 

 IV. Summer Meeting

Monday, June 18 at 3:30 p.m. 

V. Fall Meetings

Motion to set fall meeting times for the second and fourth Monday of the month from 1:15 p.m. to 2:45 p.m. Robinson, second: Brunk.  APPROVED

VI. Reports

Professional Development – reviewing Excellence Award nominees this Friday

Ad-Hoc Grievance Committee – Meeting again next week.  The bylaws will be sent to the Council for approval at a later date.

VII. Old Business. 

Would like to send a letter to Chancellor Gow about the limited increase in Academic Staff in the Growth and Access Plan.  Robinson, Richter, Leahy and Heyer will be working on it.  Also suggested: try to go to the Chancellor’s walk in times. 

VIII. New Business

May want to consider changing the name of the Council.


Meeting adjourned at 4:30 p.m.