Excellence Award Nomination Procedure
The University of Wisconsin‑La Crosse Academic Staff Excellence Award
The University of Wisconsin-La Crosse Academic Staff Excellence Award is given annually to a member of the non-instructional academic staff who has excelled in performance and service. Excellence in performance is the primary criterion for the award, but outstanding service to the University community and beyond enhances a nomination. Academic staff who are eligible are non-instructional staff who hold at least 50 percent appointments and have not received the award in the past five years.
- The person should demonstrate service that consistently and substantially exceeds quality expected in the position.
- The person should exhibit performance that consistently and substantially demonstrates ability and willingness to work positively and effectively with others.
- The person should demonstrate performance of ability and willingness to manage changes in work. They should also demonstrate an innovative approach to the job and improve productivity and quality of work assigned.
- The person should demonstrate performance that has resulted in important and significant contributions to their department and the campus, and has furthered UW-L’s mission. Performance should result in becoming a distinguished member of his/her profession campus wide, system wide, statewide or nationally.
- Nominate a fellow UW-La Crosse academic staff member
- Nominations may be made by academic staff, classified staff, faculty or students.
- Nominations must be submitted no later than 5 pm on Friday, March 28th.
- Nominations must be submitted electronically via this link.
- That information sheet must be returned to the ASC office by Friday, April 18th.
The award recipient will receive the following:
- $750, funded by the UW-L Professional Development account, for professional development of the recipient's choice. The recipient must use the funds within one calendar year of receiving the award and may also apply for additional funds through the UW-L Academic Staff Professional Development Committee.
- A feature story about him/her will appear in the Campus Connection and other outlets. The recipient might also be considered for UW System publications highlighting academic staff.
- News releases about the honor will be sent to local media and the recipient's hometown, upon the recipient's consent.
- Recipients also will have their names added to a plaque recognizing yearly recipients, currently on display outside of the Chancellor's Office.
ASC Selection Procedures:
- The call for nominations will be announced in the Campus Connection, email and a video message. Complete nomination information, including the link to the nomination form, will be distributed to all non-instructional academic staff members who hold at least 50 percent appointments.
- The UW-L Academic Staff Professional Development Committee, as appointed by the Academic Staff Council, will select the recipient. Committee members are not eligible for the award.
- When the committee has made its recommendation, it should forward the person's name and the rationale for the award to the Chancellor. In the event that the committee does not elect to submit a candidate for the award, the committee should document its reasons for withholding the award and submit this documentation to the Chancellor.
- All documents received on behalf of nominees shall become official records of the UW-L Academic Staff Professional Development Committee. The committee chair will submit letters to nominees’ and recipients’ personnel files to indicate they were nominated for and/or received the award.