University of Wisconsin-La Crosse |

Accounts Payable

Expand page menu
Skip to page menu
  • Student Faculty Organization

    Student organizations receiving allocations from any State fund must bank those funds in a University on-campus bank account through Business Services.  State fiscal rules and regulations govern the financial transactions of these organizations, and are facilitated through the organization's adviser.  Student organization leaders should meet with their organization's adviser for more information on this subject.

    Account Balance

    To request your organization's current bank account balance, complete the SFO Balance Request.

    Organizations not receiving allocations from State funds must also obtain banking services through Business Services.  Student organizations are not permitted to have bank accounts off-campus due to State regulations.  Student organizations can collect dues or conduct fundraisers to generate funds. Student organizations soliciting donations of money or merchandise beyond the campus community must get approval from University Centers, and from the Foundation Office.  See the Fundraising Guidelines within your organization's Leader's guide for more information.

    New Account Request & Account Maintenance

    To Open a Student Faculty Organization bank account, obtain and complete a Student Faculty Organization (SFO) Authorization Form.  The authorization form must be completed by the faculty adviser and two student officers.  Upon completion, the form is delivered to Business Services for review and approval.  Once approved, an account number will be established and all authorized individuals will be notified.

    When there is a change in fiscal school year (July 1), a change in authorized faculty, or a change in authorized student officers, a new SFO Authorization Form must be completed.  The authorization form is considered the signature card for the account; therefore, it must be kept current and up-to-date.  

    When a new school year begins, many student organizations elect new student officers.  Be sure to complete a new SFO Authorization Form for the new fiscal year and file with Business Services.  If during the year an authorized faculty changes, or if there is a change in authorized student officers, a new SFO Authorization Form must be completed (signed by all who will remain on the account and by the new faculty, or student, that is being added to the account) and filed with Business Services.


    Deposits are made to your SFO bank account by completing a Student Faculty Organization (SFO) Deposit Form.  Plastic deposit pouches are available at both the Business Services front desk and the Cashier’s office window for use in preparing your deposit.  Deposits are made at the Cashier’s office during regular business hours, or via the drop box located outside the Cashier’s office.  A receipt will be provided upon request.

    How do I make a deposit?

    • Complete the SFO Deposit Form located at the front desk of Business Services, or found on the Business Services website under Forms.
      • Deposit form must include: Date, Account Name, Account Number, Description of Deposit, Total of Deposit, and Depositor Contact Information.
      • Deposit should be placed in a plastic deposit pouch available at the front desk of Business Services or at the Cashier’s office window.
      • Deposit form should be folded to allow the SFO account name and number to be seen without opening deposit envelope.
    • Deliver deposit to the Cashier’s Office – 221 Graff Main Hall.  Deposits can be made during regular business hours or via the drop box located outside the Cashier’s office window.

    Check Requests

    Check requests to pay bills or to withdraw money from the SFO bank account must be made by completing a Student Faculty Organization (SFO) Account Check Requisition Form.  Completed check requisition forms are then submitted to Business Services.  All requests will be reviewed by designated Business Services personnel and any inquires must be clarified before the check will be processed.

    How do I request a check?

    • Complete the SFO Account Check Requisition Form located at the front desk of Business Services or found on the Business Services website under Forms.  Complete one (1) check requisition form for each check request.
      • Check requisition form must include: Account Name, Account Number, Payee Information, Delivery Method, Description of Expense & Purpose, Amount, and two (2) authorized signatures.
      • Receipts and/or other supporting documentation for the expense must be attached to the requisition form.
      • Any questions related to the purpose of the request, or related to the supporting documentation will need to be resolved before the check request will be processed.
    • Deliver check requisition form and supporting documentation to Business Services – 228 Graff Main Hall.
    • Checks will be available for pick up at the front desk of Business Services the next business day after 10:00a.m.

    Monthly Statements

    Monthly statements providing the account activity and account balance information are mailed to the faculty adviser on or before the 15th of every month.