University of Wisconsin-La Crosse |

Accounts Payable

Expand page menu
Skip to page menu
  • Travel

    Expense Reimbursement

    Welcome to e-Reimbursement, a web-based system used to reimburse UW-La Crosse employees and non-employees for expenses incurred while traveling or conducting business for the University.  All "paperwork" and approvals take place in e-Reimbursement through data entry, electronic attachments, and an automated workflow process.

    Travel reminders

    Airfare Policy 1201: Purchase & Payment of Business Air Travel Reminders:

    • All University paid airline tickets need to be booked and purchased in the UW TravelWIse program, either within Concur or with Fox World Travel.  This includes airfare purchased for all faculty, staff, students, guests, and groups.
    • After July 1, the University will no longer pay or reimburse the cost of airline tickets purchased out of this policy requirement.

    The UW System Travel Regulations are published by the UW System Travel Office and are available on the UW TravelWIse portal.  

    All business travel paid or reimbursed from University-administered funds must be done in compliance with Wisconsin Statutes, UW System travel regulations and University of Wisconsin-La Crosse travel policies.

    For specific travel policies and procedures for the UW-La Crosse campus, please review the resource information provided below.

    Faculty & Staff

    University employees, while on business travel, are expected to exercise good judgment when incurring travel costs.  An employee may be reimbursed for reasonable and necessary travel expenses actually incurred in the performance and conduct of UW business.  An employee shall not seek reimbursement for goods or services provided free of charge, not personally incurred, reimbursed by another source, or which will be paid or reimbursed from another source.  Faculty and staff traveling together pay their own way and complete their own Expense Report (ER).

    For UW travel policies, best business practices and process standards, please refer to UW TravelWIse.



    • Effective October 5th, meals and incidentals will be reimbursed based on per deim allowances..  Per diems are calculated based upon location, first/last day of travel, and provided meals adjustments.  For trip planning and rate determination, M&IE rates can be determined using the Lodging/Meal & Incidental Calculator available in the UW TravelWIse portal
    • If an employee is buying a meal for someone else, the UW Sponsored Event policy applies.  An itemized receipt for both meals must be provided along with the individual's name and explanation of the business conducted during the meal.  Meal maximums apply (see Food for rates)
    • Fox World Travel is the University's contracted travel agency.  They provide both an online self booking tool, Concur, and full service agents.
    • You must use the UW TravelWIse program, Concur, or Fox World Travel for purchases of all airfare.
    • Purchased airfare must be the lowest appropriate fare, which is defined as non-refundable, coach/economy class.

    Domestic Lodging Rate Maximums
    Per night maximum for single room rate = $90.00 for Milwaukee, Racine, and Waukesha counties
    Per night maximum for single room rate = $82.00 for all other in-state locations
    For all other U.S. locations, visit the UW TravelWIse website
    • For in-state lodging reservations, it is recommended that you call the hotel's reservation management to obtain or negotiate the state maximum rate.  
    • Hotels are not obligated to honor the state rate.  In cases where you are unable to obtain lodging within the maximums, an exception may be approved if you are able to document 3 quotes.
    • Employees are encouraged to take advantage of live rates and discounts available in Concur for out-of-state and international lodging accommodations. 
    • The use of lodging brokers, like, Expedia, Travelocity, Airbnb, Priceline, etc. is prohibited by travel policy.  
    • Employees are able to use their procurement cards to reserve a room, pay for a required first night deposit, or pay for lodging at a conference site.  A conference site is defined as a lodging facility identified by the conference sponsor and must be included on the conference brochure, program or registration information provided.
    • If you are not staying at a conference site, lodging must be paid with personal funds and reimbursed on a TER by submitting an original itemized lodging receipt (folio).
    • If sharing a room with another employee, one employee may pick up the entire room cost, but both must indicate this on their respective TERs.
    • Employees are expected to use rental vehicles when vehicle transportation is determined to be the most appropriate mode of transportation.  Vehicle transportation is generally most appropriate for round trips less than 400 miles.  
    • Employees are encouraged to book vehicles through the self-booking tool whenever possible to ensure that they receive the appropriate pricing, services, and insurance coverages.  The UW has a contract with the Big Ten for vehicle rentals.  The Big Ten contract must be used when vehicles are available.  The contract information for the Big Ten is available on the UW TravelWIse portal, under Discounts.
    • If an employee chooses to use their personal vehicles, reimbursement will be made at the allowable mileage reimbursement amount calculated on the TER.  This calculation has been endorsed by the Strategic Planning and Budget Committee and is the amount that might be reasonably paid had a rental vehicle been utilized for the travel.  
    • For round trips less than 100 miles, employee may use their personal vehicle and be reimbursed at the approved UW mileage rate of $0.51 per mile.
    • At the employee's request, reimbursement for gasoline costs in lieu of using the appropriate mileage rate will be allowed if receipts are provided and the total claim does not exceed the mileage rate that would have been allowed.


    Reimbursement for meals for employees who are on a day-shift (7:45 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.) will be allowed only on the following conditions:

    1. Breakfast, provided the employee leaves home before 6:00 a.m.

    2. Lunch, provided the employee leaves his/her headquarters before 10:30 a.m. and returns after 2:30 p.m.

    3. Dinner, provided the employee returns from travel status after 7:00 p.m. or departs his/her headquarters for overnight travel before 6:00 p.m.

    The time or time periods specified above may be modified to the extent necessary to provide equitable treatment to employees whose work schedule requires shift work or other than a day-shift basis. Time and dollar restrictions do not apply to athletes in team travel status.
    Reimbursement for the cost of meals in connection with same day travel (no overnight lodging involved) are generally considered taxable income to the employee. The meal reimbursement might be considered nontaxable if the primary purpose for scheduling the meeting over the meal period was to transact UW business and the claimant documents the business purpose as well as the names of those who attended.


    Please contact Fox World Travel for all your Group travel air, car, rail, and hotel needs.

    Group air is classified as 10+ travelers, traveling the same destination.

    Fox World Travel

    Fox Premier Meetings and Incentives
    Hours: 7:00am CT - 5:30pm CT

    Toll-Free: 866-230-8787 (option 4)

    FPMI Email:

    Effective January 5th, 2015 changes to airfare policy require Fox World Travel, as the University's contract travel management company, be used for all University funded airline ticket purchases.  Fox Premier, Fox World Travel's groups and meetings division, serves under the University's contract when group airfare is needed for 10 or more passengers.  Fox Premier can also assist when you would like to combine lodging, ground transport, or other group accommodations.


    It is now required travelers utilize the University Group Reservation Request Form when using Fox Premier for group air reservations.  When you are ready to begin the process, you can start on the UW TravelWIse homepage, then click on the blue button labeled Booking Matrix.  Using the flowchart, you would select "I am booking travel for a group of people."  The flowchart will automatically update and provide the UW System procedures/requirements and the UW Group Reservation Request Form.   Complete, print, and then register the request form.  A member of the Fox Premier team will contact you within one (1) business day to confirm the request and discuss any open questions.

    Fox Premier with work with the travel coordinator until all the reservations have been booked.  At this time, a confirmation email will be sent out to the coordinator and to Business Services.  Payment for group travel must go through Business Services and be charged on the Group Travel charge card.  The following information will be needed to process the payment request:

    1. Copy of the UW Group Reservation Request, if available
    2. Itinerary of the trip - including travel dates, destination(s), and daily activities
    3. Approved travel budget - signed by the appropriate Department Chair, Dean/Division Head, and/or signature authority as needed
    4. List of travelers
    For questions related to group travel, please contact Christina Rickert.




    For international travel, including U.S. possessions, separate dollar maximums for meals and lodging apply.

    The University uses the federal government prescribed maximums, based on location and date of expense, for international lodging and meals.  

    Use the U.S Department of Defense calculator to look up the federal maximum rates for individual lodging and local meals prior to travel.  Although Alaska and Hawaii are listed, these are considered domestic locations by University travel policy.  Use the domestic rate maximums for these locations.

    For payment or reimbursement, the daily maximum for meals, based on location and date of expense, must be prorated as follows:

    Breakfast - 20%  |  Lunch - 30%  |  Dinner - 50%

    As with domestic travel, the amount claimed for meal reimbursement must be the actual amount spent up to the maximums allows.  Rates are not prescribed as a per diem allowance, and does not include incidental expenses.  UW travel policy specifies incidentals or other miscellaneous travel expenses that can be paid or reimbursed and any receipt requirements.

    Any meals provided by international hosts, conferences, or others cannot be claimed for reimbursement.

    For international travel, employees may be reimbursed for the purchase of bottled water.  The maximum reimbursement is limited to $7.50 per day.  International travelers are also allowed personal phone calls, up to $10.00 per day, while in travel status.


    The I.R.S. recommends that business travelers always keep receipts for personal tax filing purposes. University policy requires that the following receipts be provided with your reimbursement request.

    Receipt Requirements
    For All Expenses
    Receipt Requirements
    For Expenses $25 and over
    No Receipts Required
     For Expenses Within Allowed Maximums
    • Airfare and penalty fees ( Change/Cancel)
    • Travel agency service fees
    • Amtrak or other long-distance rail carrier
    • Lodging
    • Vehicle rentals
    • Gasoline
    • Laundry services
    • Hospitality/Hosted meals
    • Other reimbursable expenses within policy
    • Any expense in excess of established maximums (with justification)
    • Checked Baggage
    • Parking
    • Taxis/Shuttles
    • Commuter Rail/Subways
    • Tolls
    • Registration fees
    • Passports, visas, and required immunizations
    • Personal meals, as allowed, within established maximums
    • Tips and gratuities for hotel employees: $2.00/day
    • Porter/Skycap tips: $1.00/bag
    • Bottled water for international travel: $7.50/day
    • Personal call from international travel destination: $10/day
    • Business communications –$5.00/per charge
      Landline phones



    Value added tax (VAT) and other taxes levied by foreign countries are payable. Federal maximum rates for the location are inclusive of VAT and all other taxes.

    The University no longer uses contract services for VAT refund/reclaim.  University departments and individual employees are prohibited from personally filing for refund of all international taxes paid or reimbursed by the UW.


    Make your reservations through our contract with Fox World Travel and take full advantage of expert international reservation services.  Usually international tickets receive a higher discount with the University preferred carriers, American, Delta and United.

    Before you purchase tickets for international travel, be aware that the Fly America Act/Open Skies Agreement requires that Americans (University travelers) who fly internationally using funds from the federal government (federal funds = grants) utilize a U.S. flag carrier, with few exceptions.


    • When there is no nonstop or direct service offered by a U.S. carrier
    • When travel solely outside the U.S. increases the number of aircraft changes en route to more than two
    • When the passenger’s travel time is extended by at least 6 hours
    • When the connecting time is 4 hours or more at an overseas interchange point

    Additional information on the Fly America Act and Open Skies Agreement can be found here and at the U.S. General Services Administration (GSA).

    Information regarding passports, travel visas, immunization requirements, foreign currency, and insurances may be found on UW TravelWIse.

    Interview Candidates

    Guide for Interview Candidates

    Potential candidates, although not state employees, are welcomed to campus for the purpose of interviewing for a potential position with UW-La Crosse.  Candidates are subject to same UW travel policies, best business practices and process standards as employees.  Listed below are some guidelines when inviting potential candidates to campus for interviewing purposes.


    • The Dean or non-college Division head must approve the reimbursement of travel expenses related to candidate interviews.  Consideration may be given for partial reimbursement, but all candidates must be given the same reimbursement consideration.
    • The Dean or a level above may authorize a UW employee to act as a "host" for interview candidates.  Reasonable local transportation and meal costs in connection with hosting the candidate may be reimbursed.
    • It is preferred that all interview candidates incur their travel expenses personally, and then submit a TER for reimbursement upon departure from campus.
    • A daily agenda/schedule for the candidate's interview and campus visit should be prepared by the host department.  A copy of this agenda will need to be submitted with the candidate's TER as supporting documentation for the expenses incurred.


    • Candidate airfare must be arranged through the contracted travel agency, Fox World Travel, if the expense is being paid or reimbursed by University funds.
    • As a host department, airfare can be prearranged by booking the airfare through the self-booking tool as a Travel Coordinator, by utilizing UW onsite services and completing the Non-Employee Travel Request Form, or by contacting a full-service agent at Fox World Travel.  In all cases, the Candidate should pay for their own airfare and request reimbursement upon departure from campus.
    • Personal vehicle mileage will be reimbursed at a rate of $0.51 per mile if it is determined that vehicle transportation is the most appropriate mode of transportation.
    • If a rental car is deemed appropriate by the hosting department, rental car reservations can be made by utilizing UW onsite services and completing the Non-Employee Travel Request Form.
    • Candidates may make their own hotel reservations.  The candidate would then pay for the room and request reimbursement upon departure from campus. Sales tax will be charged and can be reimbursed to the candidate.
    • As a host department, you may make the candidate's hotel reservation and request to be direct billed by the hotel.  Direct bills should only include the room charge and sales tax should not be incurred.  Other related charges, such as meals, phone calls, parking, internet, etc., must be personally paid for by the candidate prior to check-out.
    • The same guidelines for meal maximums, times, etc., apply for candidates as those for employees. 
    • There are occasions when employees are required to interview applicants during the meal period.  Reimbursement for the cost of such meals is allowable.  An itemized receipt, the candidate's name, title of the unfilled position, and an explanation for holding the interview over the meal period must be provided.  Employees are limited to the meal maximum rates, however the employee paying for the candidate meal may be reimbursed for the actual cost if the candidate's meal is identified on the itemized receipt provided.

    Moving & Relocations

    The University may reimburse relocation and/or temporary lodging expenses for new and presently employed personnel assigned to new locations by transfer or promotion.  Approval to reimburse employee relocation expenditures must be obtained from the Dean or appropriate Division head.  Details and limitations for relocation expenses are outlined in the appointment agreement initiated by Human Resources.  Stipends, reimbursements for moves less than 50 miles, reimbursements for temporary lodging, and any other taxable relocation expense will be reported to the IRS and a W-2 statement will be provided at the end of the year. 

    Moving reimbursement requests must be filed on a Travel Expense Report that includes the required signature approvals and original receipts.

    Additional information on Moving and Relocation costs is available on the UW System Financial Administration webpage.

    COMMERCIAL CARRIERS - Contracted Vendors

    UW System Financial Administration Contract Moving Vendors

    If you choose not to use a contracted vendor, you then must obtain three (3) quotes from vendors of your choice.  Reimbursement would then be allowed up to the lowest bid amount.

    SELF MOVES - Relocating without a Commercial Carrier


    Should the employee elect to relocate himself or herself, reimbursement for such a relocation is limited to the actual, reasonable, and necessary costs for any hired labor in loading and unloading the household goods and for the rental of trucks, trailers, moving equipment, or other expenses directly related to the relocation. Neither the employee nor the employee’s spouse or dependents may be reimbursed for their labor. The reimbursement claim must be supported by original receipts. Estimates are not required from commercial carriers to support self moves.

    Reimbursable & Non-Reimbursable Moving Costs

    Reimbursable Moving Expenses

    Non-Reimbursable Moving Expenses 

    Household Goods and Personal Effects such as:

    *The stipend may be used to offset these expenses.

    — Furniture

    — Property for resale

    — Cabinet/Closet contents

    — Property not owned by the family

    — Clothing

    — Farm equipment

    — Musical instruments

    — Livestock

    — Household appliances

    — Trailers

    — Food

    — Boats over 14 feet

    Direct Costs Associated with the Relocation of Household Goods (additional fees charged by the moving company on the bill of lading):

    — Mileage or hauling/towing of additional vehicles (motorcycles, trucks, recreational vehicles and automobiles)

    — Line Haul

    — Building materials

    — Fuel/Insurance Surcharge

    — Items used in a personal business

    — Seasonal Rate Adjustment

    — Items that may be found in a household, but which the carrier cannot or will not allow to be placed in the moving van (i.e. pets, flammable items, caustic aerosols, spoilable items, plants, jewelry, frozen foods, etc.)

    — Long Carry

    — Swing sets, jungle gyms and other similar outdoor items

    — Stairs

    — Exclusive Use/Space Reservation/Expedited Service Charges

    — Elevator

    — Valuation/Additional insurance

    — Piano/Organ Moving

    — Extra pickup of household goods

    — Extra Labor

    — Storage

    — Appliance Service

    — Warehouse handling

    — One-way mileage cost at the present standard rate (AUTO HI) of moving one vehicle to the new residence using the most direct route

    — Weight additives for transporting any bulky articles

    Note: Mileage claim may not exceed mileage shown on the bill of lading

    — Travel costs en route (meals, lodging, tolls, etc.)

    — Purchase of containers/packing materials

    — Overtime loading/unloading as required by the customer

    — Ferry charges/Tolls

    — Weight and bulky article charges

    — Packing/Unpacking

    — Third party services


    — Storage for the convenience of the employee


    — Other costs associated with the move, which could include pre-start visits and house-hunting costs

    Students & Non Employees

    Travel arrangements for UWL students and non-employees can be coordinated through either a department Travel Coordinator or by utilizing UW onsite services.  Student and non-employee travel arrangements are subject to same UW travel policies, best business practices, and process standards as Unviersity employees.

    Department Travel Coordinator

    A department Travel Coordinator is a role in the online self-booking tool which allows the user to book travel on behalf of a student or non-employee.  

    UW full-service onsite agent, Debbie Talbott

    To utilize our onsite agent, the host department must first complete the Non-Employee Travel Request Form found on the UW TravelWIse site under Reservations - Onsite Services - Non-Employee Travel Request Form.

    Hours of Operation: Monday - Friday 8 a.m.- 4 p.m. Contact phone: 608-263-1044