Examples of previous and
ongoing research projects:
- Landscape factors affecting sensitivity of
aquatic ecosystems to atmospheric deposition of
mercury and heavy metals.
- Ecology of extreme aquatic environments.
- Effects of nitrogen deposition on alpine
- Oral histories from the Upper Mississippi River
- Comparative history of hydrological development
of the Volga and Mississippi Rivers.
- Ecological restoration of mercury-contaminated
- Wetland delineation.
- Amphibian deformations.
- Using GIS technology to describe urban sprawl
and landscape patterns.
- Distribution abundance of benthic
invertebrates, algae, bacteria, aquatic
macrophytes, zooplankton and fish in the Upper
- Ecological effects of landscape transformation
and watershed disturbance on lotic
- Contamination, bioaccumulation, and
biogeochemistry of mercury and other potentially
toxic metals in aquatic ecosystems.
- Toxicant effects on structure and function of
aquatic communities and behavior of fish and
- Applications of molecular techniques to
studying aquatic microbial processes.
- Effects of commercial and recreational
navigation on the resuspension and transport of
sediments in the Upper Mississippi River.
- Ecology and pathogenesis of fish
- Effects of bacterial and viral pathogens on
feral and hatchery fish.
- Environmental, social and cultural history of
the Upper Mississippi River valley.