Welcome to Risk Management
Location125 Graff Main Hall
1725 State Street
La Crosse, WI 54601
Hoeschler Clock Tower
Business HoursMonday - Friday
7:45 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
We value your feedback: click here to take our customer service survey.
The Risk Management Office is responsible for the preservation of human, physical, and financial assets. This is accomplished by identifying, evaluating, and controlling loss exposures faced by the University. Our goal is to minimize the adverse effects of unpredictable events. Toward this end, we utilize a number of processes and tools:
- maintain current values for buildings, contents, and moveable property;
- respond to all property, liability, and other casualty losses, initiating investigations and accomplishing the appropriate resolution of all claims;
- develop programs for loss prevention based on available loss data;
- coordinate loss control activities in cooperation with the broader campus community;
- administer various special insurance programs; and
- review insurance language in vendor and affiliation agreement contracts to control transfer or risk
Property and liability protection are provided by the State of Wisconsin self-funded programs. Other exposures are covered by the UW System insurance policies for boiler and machinery, contractual liability and crime. Risk Management works with State Risk Management and UW System Risk Management to see that adequate protection exists for the various exposures at UW-La Crosse.
Risk Management conducts a variety of activities to reduce our risk of loss. We interact with departments and campus personnel in a variety of ways to reduce the potential for loss and the impact that losses might have on day-to-day operations. Our goal is to be pro-active in mitigating exposures before they occur. To that end, we review contracts and projects and analyze loss data from a variety of sources. We have an extensive vehicle driver authorization program, including driver record review. A special medical coverage for camps and clinics reduces the potential for claims from injuries to these youthful participants.
Risk Management administers all insurance claims for the UW-La Crosse including property, general liability, automobile, employee dishonesty, and boiler and machinery losses. This administration includes the various activities involved in investigation and negotiation (including settlement recommendations), with claimants, insurance companies and their representatives, UW System Administration, and State Risk Management.