Moving Expenses

Approval to reimburse employee moving expenditures must be obtained from the Provost.  (Generally, a brief letter that includes the proposed moving support amount is drafted by the dean and sent for the Provost's approval and signature.)

Moving reimbursement requests must be filed on a Travel Expense Report that includes the required signatures and original receipts.

Moving Expense Vendors

UW System Financial Administration Contract Moving Vendors

Reimbursable & Non-Reimbursable Moving Costs

III B. Reimbursable and Non-reimbursable Costs

1. Household goods are personal effects of the employee and the immediate family of the employee. Examples include furniture, clothing, musical instruments, household appliances, food, and other items which are usual and necessary for the maintenance of a household and which may be transported legally in interstate commerce.

  • The following items are NOT considered household effects:
    • Property for resale
    • Property not owned by the family
    • Farm equipment
    • Livestock
    • Trucks/trailers
    • Boats over 14 feet
    • Automobiles, motorcycles, recreational vehicles
    • Building materials
    • Items used in a personal business
    • Pets, flammable items, caustic aerosols, spoilable items, plants, jewelry, frozen food, etc., and other items that might be found in a household but which the carrier cannot or will not allow to be placed in the moving van
    • Swing sets, jungle gyms, and other similar outdoor items

The cost to move any of the above-mentioned or similar type items would be considered "incidental costs" (explained under Section III, B.3.). Any other items that might be considered questionable should be cleared with the Institution Business Office.

2. Direct Costs of Relocation

  • The following direct costs associated with the relocation of household goods are reimbursable, subject to the constraints in Section II.
    • Linehaul (rate per 100 lbs. X pounds moved)
    • Seasonal rate adjustment
    • Weight and bulky articles charges except for items listed in Section III, B.1. Above
    • Third party services associated with crating, uncrating, assembling, or disassembling typical household items such as a pool table, appliances, clocks, hot tubs, plasma televisions, etc. (See exception in Section III, B.3. Below.)
    • Ferry, bridge, ramp; service charge
    • Appliance service
    • Packing
    • Unpacking
    • Containers
    • Additional transportation at origin and destination
    • Fuel/insurance surcharge (this is not a change the employee has control over)
    • Shuttle

3. Incidental Costs of Relocation

Payment of a stipend is allowed in accordance with s.20.917(1)(e), Wis. Stats., to cover incidental costs of relocation. Eligibility for a stipend applies to all types of moves (household moving carrier, self moves, or mobile home move). The maximum amount of the stipend is currently $1,000. For mandatory moves, the employee shall receive a stipend equal to the maximum amount. For permissive moves, the employee may be granted a stipend of any amount up to the maximum. A stipend may not be paid more than 30 days prior to the employee's relocation date.

IRS rules determine whether all or part of the stipend is taxable to the employee. Generally, if the expenses that are paid from the stipend are deductible moving expenses and the employee provides documentation to the employer on these expenses, then the stipend (or portion of the stipend associated with the documented deductible expenses) is not taxable. If the employee provides no documentation on how the stipend is used, the stipend should be treated as taxable to the employee. (Reference Section III, C.4. For more information regarding taxability of stipends.)

  • The following incidental costs associated with a move are NOT reimbursable as a direct cost of the move but may be covered by a stipend, if granted by the appointing authority:
    • Exclusive use/space reservation/expedited service charges
    • House hunting
    • Valuation/additional insurance
    • Extra pickup and/or delivery of household goods
    • Storage for the convenience of the employee
    • Warehouse handling
    • Weight and bulky articles charges for items listed in Section III.B.1.
    • Auto hauling or towing (Item 130)
    • Travel costs enroute (meals, lodging, tolls, etc.)
    • Overtime loading or unloading required by customer (Item 175)
    • Weight and bulky article charges for items listed in Section III, B.1.
    • Third party services for swing sets, jungle gyms, and other outdoor items
    • Other costs associated with the move that are not considered household effects

4. Transporting the Employee and Family

The amount of reimbursement for transporting (this includes flying) the employee and his or her immediate family from the former residence to the new place of residence may not exceed the cost of mileage for one automobile at the rate specified in Section VIII of the UW System Travel Regulations. The maximum allowable amount shall be based on mileage using the most direct route and shall not exceed the mileage indicated on the bill of lading when a commercial carrier is utilized. However, actual necessary airfare may be reimbursed for overseas relocations.

5. Piecemeal Moves

The appointing authority may approve reimbursement for piecemeal moves necessary to transport the employee's household effects from the former residence to the new residence. The total cumulative reimbursed cost of moving household effects on a piecemeal basis may not exceed the amount which would have been charged if the relocation had been accomplished in one trip. To make that determination, an estimate showing the cost to accomplish the move in one trip should be obtained.

6. Relocating Without a Commercial Carrier (Self Moves)

Should the employee elect to relocate himself or herself, reimbursement for such a relocation is limited to the actual, reasonable, and necessary costs for any hired labor in loading and unloading the household goods and for the rental of trucks, trailers, moving equipment, or other expenses directly related to the relocation. Neither the employee nor the employee's spouse or dependents may be reimbursed for their labor. The reimbursement claim must be supported by original receipts. Estimates are not required from commercial carriers to support self moves.