UW-L Career ServicesWhat Kind of Employers Seeking Candidates to Work Internationally?

Multinational Companies & International Trade and Economic Development Organizations - Click here to see the list

Non Profit and Humanitarian Organizations

Working for a non-profit organization may enable you to make contacts that make moving abroad permanently a lot easier.  These contacts may lead to a job with a company or organization that will sponsor all of the local country's  required permits and visas for permanent work.  Some helpful web sites for researching non-profit organizations:

  • www.unicefusa.org/ - non- profit U.S. organization that works in 158 countries and territories providing health care, clean water, improved nutrition, and education to millions of children in Africa, Asia, Central and Eastern Europe, Latin America, and the Middle East.

  • www.interaction.org/jobs/index.html  - Alliance of  160 U.S. based international development and humanitarian non governmental organizations.

  • www.idealist.org  - connects people, organizations and resources to help build a world where all people can live free and dignified lives. Independent of any government, political ideology or religious creed, work is guided by the common desire of our members and supporters to find practical solutions to social and environmental problems, in a spirit of generosity and mutual respect.

  • www.cof.org  - Council on Foundations is a membership organization of more than 2,000 foundations and giving programs worldwide. 

  • www.un.org  - Global association of governments facilitating cooperation in international law, security, and economics.

  • www.who.org  - United Nations specialized agency for international health, World Health Organization.

Federal Government Agencies English Language Schools (open to all college grads in any major)

An easy way to work abroad shortly after graduation is to teach English in Asia, Eastern Europe, Russia, and other non-English speaking countries. This gives you the opportunity to experience other cultures and to connect with the students. If you really enjoy the geographic area where you are teaching, you may consider conducting a job search for another opportunity in the area. There are many web sites and private recruitment agencies; be sure to use a recommended service or carefully examine the company’s credentials and experience. Discuss your overseas living accommodations and ask for your salary to be paid in US Dollars, if possible. Web Sites to consider:

Also use a search engine to look for "English Language Schools in (your preferred country)". Many Embassies and foreign governments offer instruction - www.embpage.org.

Some of the most popular programs for UW-L graduates are in Japan. JET Programme - www.jetprogramme.org/index.html

K-12 Schools (for education majors)

If you are a licensed teacher in the USA you may also teach all classroom curriculum on U.S. military bases worldwide with the U.S. Department of Defense Schools - http://www.dodea.edu/home/index.cfm.

The University of Northern Iowa has an excellent international teaching job fair and placement service. You do not need to attend UNI, but you must register in advance. To attend see www.uni.edu/placement/overseas/.

Using A Recruitment Agency Or Consultant

There are many international recruitment agencies, which can be very useful. Research the fees associated with the service to determine who is responsible for payment, you as the candidate, or the company. A few examples of search firms include:

Back  |  Next