Special course fees
Current List and Request Form
The request form should be utilized to propose a new fee, modify an existing fee or eliminate a fee. Forms need to be submitted to the Budget Office (245 Graff Main Hall) prior to the listed deadlines on the forms to be considered for the specified terms. All indicated approvals must be obtained before a special course fee will be implemented. A separate request must be made for each unrelated activity within a course.
Special Course Fee Policy
Special Course Fees are fees that may be charged to certain students for certain instructional costs beyond those covered by student tuition. Some principles and policies follow:
- Special course fees may only be used for the specified, approved purpose described in the Special Course Fee Request.
- All students in a course who are charged a special course fee should have a reasonable opportunity to benefit equally from the fee. One student's special course fee contribution should not be used to subsidize or supplement another student's activities.
- Departments may not use special course fees as a substitute for obtaining regular budget support for the course.
- Students will be billed for approved special course fees through the UWL billing system. It is prohibited to collect these fees in classrooms or directly from students.
- Special course fee accounts should not accumulate cash balances over time. Any such accumulations would indicate that the fee being charged is too high and needs to be adjusted downward.
Special course fees are allowable for:
- Private lessons in vocal or instrumental music to all non-music major students enrolled for private lessons. This fee may also be assessed to music majors who elect to take additional lessons beyond the major degree requirements.
- Materials that result in a tangible product that is retained by the student in a credit course.
- Transportation and admission costs incurred on field trips required in credit course instruction.
- Supplementary texts and resource materials not available through Textbook Rental or the University Bookstore.
- A refundable deposit to ensure the return in reasonable condition of UWL equipment and supplies temporarily assigned to a student.
Special course fees are required when:
- A student exercises an option to participate beyond the minimum requirements of a course and it results in additional costs to the institution.
- A student consumes the standard resources provided to all students to complete course requirements and requires additional resources to complete the requirements or upgrades the materials used to complete the requirements.
Special course fees may not be charged for:
- The normal level of breakage or consumption of materials purchased by the University for direct use by students in activities that are integral to credit course instruction.
- Equipment (and maintenance) used for instructional purposes.
- Supplies and materials that could reasonably be expected to be covered in a regular instructional budget.
- Health and/or safety equipment required in carrying out course activities.
- Typical duplicated instructional handout materials.
- Computer and other laboratory equipment usage, primary software, computer maintenance and related supplies or any other expense covered by the Student Technology Fee.
- Salaries or wages for any UWL employee.
The following are considered to be personal expenses for students and would not involve a special course fee:
- Food, lodging and incidentals on all required field trips.
- Personal health, safety and dress requirements related to instruction.
- Textbooks and course supplies from the Bookstore.
- Note: A special course fee may be charged for food, lodging, and course materials if the intent is to facilitate payment, to save money, or to ensure standardization.
- Transportation to sites for student teaching, clinical assignments and other types of practicum.