University of Wisconsin-La Crosse |

College of Liberal Studies

  • CLS advising information

    College of Liberal Studies Advising

    Advising at UW-La Crosse

    Academic advising plays a significant role in the total process of educating students. It is a process that encompasses development and delivery of accurate up-to-date information regarding career options, educational programs, courses of instruction, resources, policies, and procedures to most effectively aid students in pursuing their educational goals.

    The University Catalog

    The UW-La Crosse catalogs contains valuable academic information about the university. It is important that students understand the policies and know the regulations and procedures that they are expected to follow.

    In compiling the catalog we have used the most current and accurate information available to us at this time. However, we reserve the right to change any of the information in this catalog, the changes take effect as soon as they are approved. To keep up-to-date on these changes, students are encouraged to consult with their advisor regularly. Reasonable substitutions will be made for discontinued and changed courses. Refer to the current university catalog for more complete information.

    Degree Audit (AR)

    A Degree Audit is an evaluation of the credits a student has earned. It includes courses in progress, total credits earned at UWL, transfer credits, retroactive credits, AP credits, Credit by Examination credits, Major and Minor credits, General Education Program requirements and SAH Core requirements. The audit is an unofficial advisory tool that will assist the student and the faculty advisor in determining which degree requirements remain to be completed. A computerized degree audit (AR) is prepared for all undergraduate degree seeking students, each semester, prior to registration. AR is distributed to the student through his/her faculty advisor.

    A "sample" AR may also be printed for exploration into another major or program on campus. This will apply the student's credits to the requirements for the major being explored.

    Students may request a copy of their AR report on-line using the WINGS system. There is no fee for this service.


    Below is a partial listing of forms that students and faculty may frequently use:


    Available from

    Course Substitution Request Form

    Dean's Office or Word Version or PDF

    Course override (blue)

    Instructor or Dean's Office

    Time Conflict (blue)

    Instructor or Dean's Office

    Drop/Add Slip

    Records & Registration (117 Graff Main Hall)

    Off-campus Course Eval & Permit (green)

    Dean's Office

    Change of Program Form (green)

    Dean's Office

    Intent to graduate

    WNGS on-line system

    Drop / Add and Change of Schedule

    The period of time between a student's initial registration for any term, through the first five (5) days of instruction in any semester (three days during summer session), is considered to be the "Drop/Add --- Change-of-Schedule" period. During this time a student may drop classes without affecting his/her permanent academic record. He/She may also add classes or change sections, if the desired section is open. Neither the advisor's signature nor the instructor's signature is required for schedule changes during this period. During this period the signatures of the instructor and the department chair will be required if a student attempts to enter a class that is closed.

    Between the 5th and 10th days of instruction, to add a course, the student must obtain the instructor's signature. After the 10th day of instruction, classes cannot be added except in unusual cases and then only with the consent (signature) of the instructor, the department chair and the Dean. In this instance the university "drop and add " form, available in the Office of Records & Registration, 117 Graff Main Hall, will be used.

    A student may withdraw from a class only until one week following the midterm date of the semester. All withdrawals from classes after the "drop/add --- change-of-schedule" period will be recorded with a "W" on the student's permanent academic record along with the official date of withdrawal. Half-term courses (either semester or summer session) or short-term courses will have withdrawal time limits established on a basis prorated to withdrawal dates for full-term courses. The student must obtain his/her instructor's or advisor's signature during this time period. No student is permitted to withdraw from a class later than one week following the midterm date for that term. Only a grade of "F" or "I" may be recorded for any student who enters this time period and fails to complete a course.

    Complete information on withdrawing from courses can be found on the Academic Policies and Start-up Informationpage on the Office of Records and Registration website. Specific drop dates for each semester can be found on theImportant Dates and Deadlines webpage.

    Withdrawal from the university is a matter of major importance. Students considering withdrawal from the university should discuss the matter with their faculty advisors, university counselors, or dean prior to initiating action. Forms for withdrawing from the university may be obtained from the Office of Student Life, Room 149, Main Hall. In some cases the rules listed above may be suspended. A more detailed description of the withdrawal-from-university policy and process, including medical withdrawals, is found in the Withdrawal from the University section of the university catalog.

    Two-Year / Four-Year Transfer Policy

    All General Education Program requirements MAY be satisfied by students who have completed Associate Degrees in COLLEGE PARALLEL PROGRAMS in accredited four-year institutions, two-year collegiate programs from two-year institutions, community colleges or junior colleges. Students transferred under this policy are still required to meet all college core, professional, diversity, major and minor requirements.

    Wisconsin Technical College System (WTCS) Transfer Policy

    Refer to the undergraduate catalog.

    Incomplete Grades

    If a student receives a grade of "I" (incomplete) the student must make up all required work and have a grade submitted by the instructor within 1 1/2 enrolled semesters. However, most instructors will require a specific completion date. If a grade is not submitted the "I" will automatically turn to a grade of "F" after 1 1/2 enrolled semesters. Complete information about the Incomplete Policy can be found in the Incomplete Grade section of the university catalog.

    Probation Standards

    Students must maintain a minimum academic standard in order to continue at UWL. Based on grades earned at UW-La Crosse, a student will be assigned a Good Standing, Probation, or Ineligible to Return status. These standards are defined in the UWL Catalog under Retention, Probation, and Suspension. It is possible for a first semester student or for a student never before on Probation to be declared Ineligible to Return!

    Assistants to the Dean

    Each College has an Assistant to the Dean who coordinates advising in the College and also assists students with matters that need attention in the Dean's Office. The Assistants to the Deans are a good resource for students who are exploring majors in a college different than their declared major. The names and locations of UWL Assistants to the Deans are available as you scroll through the Advising at UWL site.


    Many resources are available for current and prospective students as well as for faculty advisors. Most of these offices on campus are open year-round from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

  • side image group of students

    Read the latest issue:


    Capstone Cover S2016
    look inside the sah newsletter


    Subscribe today!View archive

    Fall 2015 College Meeting