Community Health Programs
University Credit or CEUs or CECHs
and/or Professional Development Opportunities
Recognizing and Amplifying Motivation for Positive Change
October 22-23, 2014
9 a.m.-4 p.m. each day
259 Cartwright Center, University of Wisconsin-La Crosse
Participants will be provided with multiple opportunities to stretch their use of open-ended questions, affirmations, reflections and summaries (OARS) beyond the basics. Excellence in motivational interviewing requires recognizing and attending to client language cues. The competent use of motivational interviewing also requires one to be highly skilled in the use of complex reflections. Participants will concentrate on the processes of focusing, evoking and planning.
Providers who choose to attend this workshop will leave with an increased ability to recognize and respond to change talk, sustain talk, discordance and planning readiness. Participants will have an increase in their knowledge around how to motivate their patients to change and how to help them successfully plan for change.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND:
Health and human service professionals and students who wish to use an evidence-based approach for facilitating change in the people they serve.
Wednesday, Oct. 22 | 9 a.m.-4 p.m.
- Recognize, explain and demonstrate the spirit and skills practitioners use in Motivational Interviewing (MI).
- Recognize and apply different strategies for finding a focus.
- Recognize client language cues and MI-appropriate responses for moving client’s toward change.
- Utilize open-ended questions, affirmations, reflections and summaries (OARS) to shape the direction of the session.
- Discuss the Motivational Interviewing Treatment Integrity Scale (MITI 3.1.1) and its use (and limitations) in improving the style of MI.
Thursday, Oct. 23 | 9 a.m.-4 p.m.
- Continue to demonstrate the spirit and skills practitioners use in MI.
- Use a modified MITI to rate classroom practice samples.
- Continue to practice evoking and amplifying change talk.
- Describe client cues for planning readiness 5. Discuss MI-adherent planning.
- Prepare to rate one’s own practice for fidelity to the principles of motivational interviewing and develop a plan for continuing to learn.
- Early Registration Fee: $175 received on/before Oct. 3
- Regular Registration Fee: $190 after Oct. 3
- SAVE register for both, Beyond the Basics & Reaching Toward Proficiency: $329 by Friday, Sept. 5
Registration includes lunch each day, morning break and
1.2 CEUs | 12 CHES CECHs | 12 MCHES CECHs are available.
Cancellation Policy: Full refund less $25 processing fee when notified in writing at least two weeks prior to the start of the event. Substitutions will be accepted.
Registration implies permission for photos, publicity & inclusion in a participant list unless Continuing Education and Extension is notified in writing prior to the program.
Sponsored by Community Health, Continuing Education and Extension
Laura A. Saunders, MSSW, MSSW Member of the Motivational
Interviewing Network of Trainers
Ms. Saunders has 20 years experience with the Department of Family Medicine at the University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health. Training and coaching others in basic interviewing techniques, administering assessment instruments, and interventions to promote behavior change has been the focus of Saunders’ career. She has worked intensively with physicians, nurses, medical students, psychologists, specialty addiction treatment providers, social workers, physical therapists and health educators.
Saunders is a member of the international Motivational Interviewing Network of Trainers (MINT) and has practiced and taught Motivational Interviewing for over 18 years. She has designed, facilitated, and delivered training and coaching in person, online, and via distance learning in the fields of health care, human service, public health and criminal justice. Saunders has provided trainings in Motivational Interviewing internationally, as well as extensively throughout the United States.
If you are planning to
register solely for the "Beyond the Basics" workshop, you
must have taken one of the following steps:
1. have already taken the basic workshop last year
2. have already taken another 2-3 day fundamental motivational interviewing workshop experience elsewhere.
If you are not certain, email Laura Saunders prior to the offering of the workshop to make certain you are prepared for the "Beyond the Basics" workshop: email@example.com