Educator Professional Development
Collaborating and Engaging with Families
Saturdays: August 3, 17 and September 7,
8 am-2 pm
Days Hotel and Conference Center
101 Sky Harbour Dr., La Crosse (French Island), Wis.
UW-La Crosse offers 1 UG/GRAD Credit
CI 499 Section 731 (UG)
CI 751 Section 737 (GRAD)
This course is designed for early childhood professionals who serve infants, toddlers, preschoolers and Kindergarteners along with their families in a variety of settings. The purpose of this course is to provide an overview of best practices to support family engagement with an emphasis on anti-bias perspective. Participants will learn:
- Practices that support family engagement with attention to diverse families
- How to identify and address common barriers to effective family engagement
- Effective communication skills for working with families
- Practices to support the needs of families with children who are dual language learners or children who have special needs
This class is designed for active learner participation including discussions, activities and in-class projects to enhance understanding and apply content to real life situations. The course is composed of three Saturday sessions. Participants must attend and complete all three sessions in order to receive credit.
Course fee includes college credit. Upon successful completion of the course, each participant will receive a $50 stipend to offset the cost of this credit-based class. Public school teachers must follow district policy regarding professional development & stipends.
Who Should Attend:
This is an innovative course designed
to fit the needs of early childhood professionals.
- Child Care Professionals
- 4K/Preschool Staff
- Head Start Staff
- Anyone interested in services for young children
ENROLLMENT IS STRICTLY LIMITED! Registration deadline is July 26, 2013.
Registration and payment made through the Parenting Place.
Lunch and materials will be supplied.
Make check payable to: The Parenting Placer
Mail registration form and check to:
The Parenting Place
Attn: Audra Wieser
1500 Green Bay St.
La Crosse, WI 54601
Application form and instructions to apply for UW-La Crosse credit course:
UW-L Academic Credit Online Admission Application Directions (2 page PDF)
The tuition plateau does not apply to students enrolling in undergraduate or graduate credit courses through the Office of Continuing Education and Extension.
Come learn from an experienced instruction team!
Meet the Instructors…
- Tracy Craker: Early Childhood Educator | Western Technical College
- Gaye Tylka: Early Childhood Response to Intervention (RtI) Statewide Coordinator | CESA #4
- Barb Gander: Senior Lecturer, Early Childhood Education | UW-La Crosse
- Ann Epstein, Ph.D.: Assistant Professor Early Childhood Education | UW-La Crosse
- Dawn Rouse, Ph.D.: Assistant Professor Early Childhood Education | UW-La Crosse
- Nancy Meyers: Early Childhood Consultant | The Parenting Place
- Barb Hopkins: Sparta Site Coordinator | The Parenting Place
Planning Committee Representatives:
- Area Child Care Centers
- CESA #4
- The Parenting Place
- Head Start
- School District of La Crosse
- UW-La Crosse
- Western Technical College
- Viterbo University