Criteria and Procedures for Application and
Admission to Department of Educational Studies
Teacher Education Programs
Applications must be submitted by 4:00 PM of the third week
of the Fall or Spring Semesters
Certification Developmental Ranges
Childhood-Middle Childhood Certification (ages birth through
Required: Minor in ECE
Childhood-Early Adolescence Certification (ages six through
Required: Certifiable Minor
Childhood-Adolescence (ages birth through twenty-one)
Required: Major in Art, Music, French, German, or Spanish
Note: Beginning January 2014 the basic skills test options will
Please read this memo for additional information.
Eligibility Criteria for Application
Applicants must apply and be accepted into the program prior to registration for certain education courses. Although applicants can apply after 24 course credits are earned, students can only be officially admitted to the School of Education Department of Educational Studies (DES) Programs after the completion of 40 credits.
Prior to submitting an application for admission to the EC-MC: Early Childhood-Middle Childhood (ages birth -11); MC-EA: Middle Childhood-Early Adolescence (ages 6-13), with a certifiable minor; or EC-A: Early Childhood-Early Adolescence programs (ages birth-21), with a major in Art, Music, French, German, or Spanish, applicants must meet the following criteria:
1. Basic Skills Test— Entry into teacher education programs requires passing scores on one of the basic skills tests approved by the State Superintendent of the Department of Public Instruction. Passing scores are set by the State Superintendent of Public Instruction. (See approved basic skills test options memo ) This requirement should be completed within the first semester on campus. Teacher education candidates have four testing options to meet this requirement.
Please check your Advisement Report for Basic Skills Test documentation. Allow eight (8) weeks for the documentation to be sent to UWL and to be recorded.
Preliminary Course Work - Applicants seeking licensure in
EC-MC & MC-EA must have a minimum of 24 credits in which
grade points have been earned (includes transfer credit).
Applicants seeking licensure in EC-A must have a minimum of
40 credits in which grade points have been earned (includes
Cumulative Grade Point Average - Candidates must have earned a
cumulative grade point average of 3.00 in all academic work
taken prior to applying for admission. This includes
transfer grade points averaged with residence grade points.
4. Applicants who have significant extenuating circumstances that prevent them from meeting one of the admission criteria above may provide a detailed letter documenting why they should still be considered for admission (in addition to submitting PPST scores, evidence of preliminary course work, and college transcripts). Documentation should include evidence to support the request for consideration (example: attempted number of times the PPST was taken and past PPST scores). Applicants must also provide contact information for two references who can support the candidate's request and who can speak to the candidates' ability to be successful in the Department of Educational Studies Teacher Education Program.
Applicants who meet the criteria described above may obtain additional information on the application from the Department of Educational Studies. Applications are accepted during the first three weeks of the Fall or Spring semesters. Applicants who meet the criteria described above may fill out an online admissions form using the link below.
DES Teacher Education Admissions Form
1. Applications will not be accepted after 4:00 PM on the Friday of the third week of the Fall or Spring semester.
2. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
3. A confirmation email will be sent to applicants when they successfully complete their application survey.
4. Admission decisions will be sent to the applicants via e-mail by Friday of the eighth week of the semester.
5. Any applicant who changes major or licensure track must reapply for admission. Readmission will be based on current admission criteria.