Frequently Asked Questions...

Division of Vocational Rehabilitation

Back to the top of page

Legal Issues

Back to the top of page

From Faculty

Back to the top of page

From Student

Back to the top of page

Temporary Disabilities

Back to the top of page

Auxiliary Aids/Accommodations

Back to the top of page

Note Taking Accommodations

Back to the top of page

Alternative Test Taking

Back to the top of page


Back to the top of page

Alternative Text Format

Back to the top of page


Back to the top of page


Back to the top of page

Students Who Suspect That They Might Have a Disability

Back to the top of page

Adaptive Technology

Back to the top of page

Division of Vocational Rehabilitation

  Q. What is the Division of Vocational Rehabilitation (DVR)?

A.DVR is a federal/state program working in partnership with people with disabilities to individually pursue, obtain and maintain employment suited to a persons abilities and interests leading to independence, increased self-sufficiency and full inclusion in society. DVR is Wisconsin's primary provider of employment services to people with disabilities.

DVR's Mission: To obtain, maintain and improve employment for people with disabilities by working with DVR consumers, employers and other partners.

DVR also provides vocational services tailored to the individual needs of employers ready to hire qualified individuals. (source: DVR brochure and web page)

For more information go to the DVR home page at:
http://www.dwd.state.wi.us/dvr or call the Central Office in Madison at 1 (800) 442-3477.

  Q. Who can recieve DVR services?

A.You may be able to receive vocational rehabilitation services from DVR if you have a physical or mental impairment that makes it difficult for you to get or keep a job. DVR is for people with disabilities who need services to prepare for work, or find and keep a job.

  Q. How do I know if I'm eligible for DVR services?

A.You will have to meet with a DVR Counselor to discuss your individual case. The DVR Counselor will determine if you are eligible or not. There is a worksheet on DVR's web page to help you determine if you may be eligible or not. Go to: http://www.dwd.state.wi.us/dvr/scripts/PotentialEligibility_I.asp

Back to the top of page Back to DVR question list

  Q. Why would I want to apply for DVR services? What can DVR do for me?

A.If you are determined eligible for DVR services you will develop an employment goal and identify the steps to take to reach that goal with your DVR Counselor. Every situation is different so the needs of each individual is looked at on a case by case basis. The DVR Counselor will look at how your disability affects the following areas and your ability to work:

  • Mobility - Getting from one place to another.

  • Communication - Talking and listening to others, reading and/or understanding printed materials.

  • Self Care -Taking care of yourself.

  • Self Direction - Making plans or carrying out your plans.

  • Interpersonal Skills - Getting along with other people.

  • Work History or Work Skills - Having the skills to work.

  • Work Tolerance - Needing changes at work to do a job

The services provided will depend on how your disability affects these areas and your ability to work. For more information about services go to: http://www.dwd.state.wi.us/dvr/jobseek.htm

  Q. Where is DVR located?

A.The Wisconsin DVR Central Office is located in Madison but there are offices located all over Wisconsin. You can call the Central Office at 1 (800) 442-3477.

  Q. How do I apply for DVR services?

A.An application is available on the DVR web site or you can contact the DVR office nearest you. The web site has information on where each office is located (see website address in previous answer.) The DVR application is located at: http://www.dwd.state.wi.us/dvr/scripts/Application_I.asp

Back to the top of page Back to DVR question list

  Q. What if I have concerns or questions about DVR services?

A.There may be times when you do not understand or agree with DVR's decisions. At times like these, the best thing to do is talk with your DVR Counselor about your concerns. You may also request an informal review with your DVR Counselor's supervisor, or you may request a formal hearing. Your DVR Counselor will give you information on filing an appeal. You can also contact the Client Assistance Program (CAP). CAP is not part of DVR and can answer concerns you may have about DVR policies and procedures and your rights and responsibilities as a consumer. CAP can also help you prepare and present an appeal request. For more information go to: http://www.dwd.state.wi.us/dvr/cap.htm

Or you can contact CAP at:
Client Assistance Program (CAP)
2811 Agriculture Drive
P.O. Box 8911
Madison, WI 53708-8911
1 (800) 362-1290

Legal Issues

  Q. What legislation covers higher education?

A.The Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990 both cover colleges and universities.

  Q. What is the Rehabilitation Act?

A.Title V of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 is generally regarded as the first civil rights legislation for people with disabilities on the national level.

Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act is a program access statute. It prohibits discrimination on the basis of disability in any program or activity offered by an entity or institution receiving federal financial aid.

Section 504 states (as amended):"No otherwise qualified person with a disability in the United States shall solely on the basis of disability, be denied access to, or the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any program or activity provided by any institution receiving federal financial assistance."

  Q. Who qualifies as a person with a disability?

A.A person is considered to be a person with a disability if he/she has the disability, has a record of the disability, or is regarded as having the disability.

  Q. What is the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)?

A.The ADA is a federal civil rights statute designed to remove barriers, which prevent qualified individuals with disabilities from enjoying the same opportunities that are available to persons without disabilities.

Universities are covered in many ways under the ADA. Employment is addressed by Title I, accessibility provided by public and private entities by Titles II and III, and miscellaneous items by Title V.

Back to the top of page Back to Legal Issues question list

  Q. What are the implications for higher education institutions?


  1. Students with disabilities must be afforded an equal opportunity to participate in and benefit from all postsecondary education programs and activities. That includes any course, course of study, or activity offered.

  2. Rules which would limit the student with disabilities from fully participating in a program or activity may not be imposed.

  3. Academic requirements must be modified, on a case-by-case basis, to afford qualified students with disabilities an equal educational opportunity.

  Q. What are my rights as a student with a disability?

A.Your rights as a student with a disability are:

  1. To not be denied access due to a disability.

  2. To receive reasonable accommodations that provide equal opportunity.

  3. To have access to auxiliary aids/assistive technology.

  4. To not be counseled toward "more restrictive career objectives."

  5. To receive assistance from the disability service office in removing any physical, academic and attitudinal barriers.

  6. To not be discriminated against due to a disability or receive any retaliatory discrimination

  Q. What are my responsibilities as a college student with a disability?

A.My responsibilities as a college student with a disability are:

  • To identify to the Disability Services Office.

  • To provide documentation of disability.

  • To initiate requests for accommodations by providing a certification of disability letter to faculty within the first two weeks of the semester.

  • To provide a minimum of a two-week notice for all major accommodation requests (special accommodations of equipment may need more time).

  • To provide one-week notice to the instructor and Disability Services Office when you will testing in the DRS office.

  • To assure responsibility for testing procedures and notifying faculty and disability services accordingly.

  • To provide for personal independent living needs or other disability-related needs.

  • To assume personal responsibility for meeting with faculty, requesting assistance, and meeting university standards.

Back to the top of page Back to Legal Issues question list

From Faculty

  Q. Do I have a right to know what type of disability a student has when they ask for an accommodation?

A.A student does not have to inform the faculty member about their disability, but only the needed accommodations. If you have any questions regarding the need for the accommodation, then you may contact the Disability Resource Services Office and request to speak to the student's advisor. They cannot give details about the disability, unless they have permission from the student. The student may disclose a disability to you. You are then obliged to maintain confidentiality regarding the student's disability.

  Q. What can I do if I disagree with the academic adjustment requested?

A.If you disagree with the academic adjustment requested, you should discuss the disagreement with the Disability Resource Services provider. The student should continue to receive the academic adjustment. An instructor may not forbid a student's use of an aid if that prohibition limits the student's participation in the school program, e.g. use of tape recorders in classrooms or dog guides in campus buildings.

  Q. Does the student receive "special privileges" under this legislation?

A.No. Providing accommodations should not be regarded as giving students "special privileges", but rather as minimizing the impact of the student's disability to the greatest extent possible.

  Q. What about substitutions and waivers of classes and requirements of specific programs?

A.Institutions are not required to make changes that require a major or substantial modification. The institution has the right to set academic standards, but the institution must prove that a requested change would create a substantial modification. The burden of proof lies with the institution.

  Q. Does the student with a disability need to ask for academic adjustments in a certain time frame prior to classes?

A.Yes. Most institutions require the student indicates the need for an accommodation within a reasonable timeframe. This is not always possible but it is important to provide academic adjustments as soon as possible.

Back to the top of page Back to Faculty question list

  Q. What can I do to make the classroom environment open to students with disabilities?

A.There are many of us that have had little or no contact with people with disabilities. It is important to remember that people with disabilities are just that, people first.

  Q. What if I am unsure on how to handle a situation with a student with a disability?

A.First ask the student. He/she is the best source of information about their disability. Second, contact the DRS office (608) 785-6900.

  Q. What are my responsibilities concerning field trips and outside programs?

A.The legislation is very explicit about this. Persons with disabilities are entitled to participate in the most integrated setting possible. If an institution offers transportation to students going on a field trip, it must offer accessible transportation for students with disabilities. Please be aware that the motor pool does have an accessible van available. Make sure that you call early enough to reserve it.

  Q. How can I help the student feel more comfortable with identifying their needs and requesting accommodations?

A.A good policy for the instructor is to announce at the first meeting of class or write in the syllabus: "Any student with a documented disability (e.g., a physical, learning, psychiatric, vision, hearing, etc.) who needs to arrange reasonable accommodations must contact the instructor and the Disability Resource Services Office (165 Murphy) at the beginning of the semester."

Back to the top of page Back to Faculty question list

  Q. How will I know that the student has seen the Disability Resource Services office before requesting accommodations?

A.Each student should present an Accommodations Request Form to the instructor. The student and their DRS advisor will sign this form; it will indicate what accommodations are appropriate for this particular student. There will be a place for your signature. When all three signatures are completed, the student will bring it back to us, we will then forward you a copy.

  Q. Is information pertaining to working with students with disabilities available for faculty?

A.There is a faculty manual available for all faculty members. It contains comprehensive information about how to work with students with disabilities in order to provide equal access to your course. A faculty manual will be provided to you at the Orientation in the fall. If you have not received one, please contact our office (5-6900) or e-mail us at ability@uwlax.edu

Back to the top of page Back to Faculty question list

From Student

  Q. Should I let the college I am going to attend know about my disability?

A.It is to the student's advantage to let a college know about your disability. This information should be shared with the Disability Service Office on campus. You should let them know immediately after your acceptance to the college.

  Q. What kind of documentation is necessary?

A.Some school systems destroy testing records upon a student's graduation. Colleges, as well as vocational rehabilitation offices, request these records to assist in providing special services to students. Students who were not in classes in the public school may be eligible for support services in college, but documentation of the disability must be provided.

  Q. How old can documentation be?

A.For a person with a learning or psychological disability or attention-deficit disorder, most universities require documentation no older than three years when the student applies to the university. Students with mobility or sensory impairments may be older in most cases. The documentation must be able to validate accommodations that are requested.

  Q. Is diagnostic testing provided at UW-La Crosse?

A.No, students who need testing are referred to off-campus facilities.

Back to the top of page Back to Student question list

  Q. Are there any scholarships for students with disabilities that are available?

A. Please refer to our section under scholarships on the web page. There are three current scholarships for students with disabilities after their freshman year. There are ones for students with epilepsy, students that have a visual impairment, as well as a scholarship for students with a physical disability.

You may also contact HEATH for additional scholarship information.

HEATH Resource Center
American Council on Education
One Dupont Circle NW,
Washington DC 20036

  Q. Are there any state agencies that assist persons with disabilities?

A.In Wisconsin, the Division of Vocational Rehabilitation assists Wisconsin residents with disabilities who attend colleges and universities. Students with disabilities applying to universities are encouraged to contact their local offices to see if they qualify for services. Please refer to the section of FAQ's regarding DVR on our Web Site.

  Q. Are college students with disabilities provided with personal care service?

A.No, students with disabilities are required to provide for personal services.

  Q. What about ACT/SAT scores?

A.If you qualify for special exam arrangements, i.e. un-timed test, readers, or a private testing room, be sure that you use this accommodation. The school cannot use the specialized testing against you when you apply to the university.

Back to the top of page Back to Student question list

  Q. Should I visit the college before I decide on which school to choose and when?

A.It is a good idea to visit the college to see if the school and community are a good fit for you. It is very important that you visit the Disability Resource Services Office before you make a final choice. You should visit by at least your junior year in high school.

  Q. What about confidentiality? Will anything be on my record?

A.The handling of information regarding someone's disability and their status as a person with a disability is considered highly confidential and is maintained in a separate, secure file with limited access. Any confidential documentation should be forwarded to the Disability Resource Services Office. You must sign a release form to have any of your disability status shared outside of the Disability Services Office.

  Q. Will I be asked on the admissions form if I have a disability?

A.Colleges are specifically prohibited from making pre-admissions inquiry regarding someone's status as a person with a disability.

  Q. What are my responsibilities to identify my disability?

A.You must self-identify or disclose your disability to the designated office for disability services. This office is designated to evaluate disability documentation and determine accommodation needs.

Back to the top of page Back to Student question list

Temporary Disabilities

  Q. If I break my leg and need a temporary handicapped sticker, what do I do?

A.You can go to the Protective Services Office and request a handicapped sticker; you will need to bring a note from your doctor indicating the length of time that you will be immobile.

  Q. If you need to be missing classes who do you contact?

A.You should contact the Office of Student Life (149 Main Hall) if you will be absent more than one week and they will inform your instructors. It is also a good idea for you to individually contact your professors and arrange course assignments.

  Q. What if I need back notes, assistance with tests, etc?

A.You should contact your professor and see if he/she can assist you with notes and test accommodations.

  Q. What if I have a temporary disability and have difficulty getting around the Residence Halls?

A.Contact your hall director.

Back to the top of page Back to Temporary Disabilities question list

Auxiliary Aids/Accommodations

  Q. How do I know if I am eligible to receive academic adjustments?

A.A person is eligible for services if they are considered a person with a disability, have identified themselves to the institution, have presented documentation regarding the disability to the institution, and need academic adjustments.

  Q. What must I do to receive academic adjustments?

A.Colleges differ from high schools regarding the first step of providing academic adjustments. The legislation states that to receive services from the university, a person with a disability must first disclose their disability to the institution. The DRS Director will ask you to bring in documentation regarding your disability, and then will assist you in receiving the needed services.

  Q. What happens if I disagree with the Academic Adjustments presented to me?

A.If you disagree with the academic adjustments being presented to you by the Disability Resource Services Office, express your concerns and be prepared to offer alternative solutions. If that does not alleviate the situation, find out what your university policy is regarding grievance procedures.

  Q. What if the university provides an accommodation that is not the one I specified exactly?

A.The university has to provide "appropriate academic adjustments", but if the institution can provide you with an auxiliary aid that is equally as effective as the one being requested and less expensive, the university is not required to buy the more expensive one. e.g. The institution does not have to buy the biggest and best computer if a system is already available which would be just as effective.

Back to the top of page Back to Auxiliary Aids/Accommodations question list

  Q. How do I know what type of academic adjustment a student needs?

A.It is up to the student and the DRS office to determine what type of accommodation is needed. There is not one type of accommodation for all students with disabilities. Each accommodation must be decided on an individual basis. Some common type of accommodations are:

  • Taped Texts

  • Note Takers

  • Readers

  • Extended Test Taking Time

  • Oral Tests

  • Interpreters

  • Large Print Material

  • Assistance With Registration

  Q. How does a university determine eligibility for accommodations?

A.Eligibility for reasonable accommodations in post-secondary institutions is driven by the severity of impact on a major life activity.

In reviewing accommodation requests, the following analysis will be used. (Mc Burney Center, UW-Madison)

  1. Does the student have a disability?

  2. Is the student otherwise qualified?

  3. Did the student request an accommodation?

  4. Was the request submitted in a manner consistent with established university policy and procedures?

  5. Is the request reasonable and/or readily achievable?

  6. Is the nature of the program or activity fundamentally altered by the provision of the accommodation?

  7. Does the provision of the accommodation present an undue financial or administrative burden on the university?

  Q. Does the institution have to provide auxiliary aids or services to international students?

A.Yes, international students are entitled to the same protection from nondiscrimination on the basis of disability as are U.S. citizens.

Back to the top of page Back to Auxiliary Aids/Accommodations question list

  Q. Am I still eligible for academic adjustments if I am taking the class for an audit?


Note Taking Accommodation

  Q. Who can use note taking services?

A.If you are a registered UW-L student and have identified with the Disability Resource Services Office and your documentation supports the need for note taking you will be given this accommodation.

  Q. Are note taker students in my class?

A.Yes, note takers are students in your class who have a G.P.A. of 2.5 or higher.

  Q. Do I pay the note taker myself?

A.No. It is the university's responsibility to provide note takers in the classroom. Note takers have the option of being paid or volunteering.

  Q. How do a get a note taker?

A.During your first meeting when you are introducing yourself, you will set up the meeting place to exchange notes. Most students get the notes in the classroom after the class is over. If you do need to meet the note taker, we ask that this exchange take place in a public place. Do not go to their apartment or home.

  Q. Do I need to find my own note taker?

A.No, you do not need to find your own note taker. It is highly recommended, though, that you search for the best person you see taking notes in your classroom and ask this person to come to the DRS office and sign up to be your note taker.

Back to the top of page Back to Note Taking Accommodations question list

  Q. What is my responsibility for using DRS note taking services?

A.When hired, note takers are given your name and phone number and asked to contact you. It is recommended that you meet your note taker so you know who to go to if you have questions about your notes. You will also need to sign the note takers timesheet at the end of each month, indicating that you received your notes for that month and are satisfied with the note taking service.

  Q. What if I don't like my note taker, or can't read their notes?

A.We ask that YOU talk to your note taker to see if you can rectify the problem. Most of the time, talking to the note taker will be enough to clear any problems you might be experiencing. If you have talked to the note taker and a problem still exists, then come to the DRS office and talk to your advisor.

  Q. How do I get my notes from my note taker?

A.During your first meeting when you are introducing yourself, you will set up the meeting place to exchange notes. Most students get the notes in the classroom after the class is over. If you do need to meet the note taker, we ask that this exchange take place in a public place. Do not go to their apartment or home.

  Q. What do the note takers use when taking notes?

A.Note takers are given a note taker book with a special carbonless paper. The note taker will tear off the top copy and give it to you, and they keep the bottom copy. If more than one student is receiving notes for this class, you will be asked to come to the DRS office and pick up your notes in your student file.

Back to the top of page Back to Note Taking Accommodations question list

  Q. If I am picking up my notes in the DRS office, what are my responsibilities?

A.You must pick up the notes in a timely fashion. Any notes left in a students file more than 10 school days will get a discontinue notice in their folder and they will be asked to report to their advisor in order for the notes to be reactivated. It will be at the discretion of the advisor whether your notes will be re-activated.

  Q. What if my note taker is late in giving me my notes and I have a test the next day and need my notes?

A.Contact the DRS accommodations manager immediately and the office will help you in getting your notes.

Back to the top of page Back to Note Taking Accommodations question list

Alternative Test Taking

  Q. How do I obtain permission to use testing accommodations?

A.See your DRS advisor.

  Q. How do I schedule an exam with the DRS office?

A.You may schedule an exam with the Testing Coordinator in 165 Murphy Library, or call 785-6900.

  Q. How far in advance do I need to schedule my exam?

A.You are required to schedule an exam one week in advance of a testing date. Finals must be scheduled two weeks in advance of the testing date. Exams may be scheduled from 8:00 am to 3:00 pm, Monday through Friday. Please note that the office closes at 4:30 pm.

  Q. Can I take my exam anytime I want to?

A.We ask that students schedule exams for the same time the test is being given in the classroom, unless special arrangements are made with the instructor.

  Q. How do my tests get delivered to the DRS office?

A.The student takes an exam checklist to the instructor a couple of days prior to the exam. The instructor completes the checklist and hand delivers the exam to the DRS office in a sealed envelope. Upon exam completion, the Testing Coordinator will hand deliver your exam back to the instructor in a sealed envelope.

  Q. What if I need to have my exam taped, or enlarged, or put on the computer?

A.We require that the instructor deliver the exam to the DRS office 24 hours in advance so that it may be prepared for you.

Back to the top of page Back to Alternative Test Taking question list


  Q. What is the purpose of priority registration?

A.Some students with disabilities are granted the opportunity for priority registration in order to provide equal access to the classroom.

  Q. Who is eligible for priority registration?

A.Eligibility is based on appropriate documentation of a disability and is determined on a case-by-case basis. Students may discuss their eligibility with their Disability Advisor. Usually a student who requires an accommodation that takes time to establish would be eligible, as well as a student who needs time to get from class to class.

  Q. Could I lose Priority Registration Service?

A.Yes. Students who do not submit timely requests for tape-recorded or brailed books, real time captioning or interpreters may lose the priority registration service. Priority registration is authorized for students who use these services because advance preparation is required to provide these services. Most students over 45 credits will not be using priority registration.

  Q. Should I still come in for class selection advice, even though I might not qualify for priority registration?

A.Yes, you should come in to see your disability advisor to discuss classes, even though you no longer use priority registration.

  Q. Will priority registration exempt me from other registration requirements?

A.No. Priority registration does not exempt students from meeting general registration for their school or college (e.g., prerequisites, academic and financial holds)

Back to the top of page Priority registration

Alternative Text Format

  Q. Can I get all of my textbooks in alternative format?

A.If you are a registered UW-L student and have current documentation in the DRS office which supports your need for this service then your textbooks will be taped or scanned for your use.

  Q. I am not sure if alternative textbooks will help me, but what do I need to do to try them out?

A.When you meet with your DRS advisor, discuss your needs for alternative format. Your advisor will have your documentation and be able to advise you as to your possible need for texts in alternative format.

  Q. How long in advance do I have to decide what I want in alternative format?

A.It is important that you let the DRS office as soon as possible what you will need in alternative format because it takes lead-time.

  Q. Does it matter when I sign up for classes as to whether I need alternative texts?

A.You will be eligible for priority registration if you are a tape user until you have accumulated 45 credits. If you switch classes later, you need to be aware that there might be a delay in obtaining texts in alternative format.

  Q. How do I go about getting alternative texts?

A.Follow the procedure in the Student Manual.

  Q. Is there any adaptive equipment that I can use to assist me?

A.Yes, there a number of read scan machines on campus. Please refer to the questions on adaptive equipment.

Back to the top of page Back to Alternative Text Format question list


  Q. Does the DRS offer individual tutoring?

A.No, individual tutoring is not required by federal mandates.

  Q. Can students who are Wisconsin Division of Vocational Rehabilitation clients receive individual tutoring?

A.Yes, if their DVR counselor approves tutoring, the DRS office will assist DVR clients in setting up individual tutoring.

  Q. Does the university offer tutoring?

A.Yes, certain departments offer peer-tutoring sessions. The information should be on your syllabus for the class or you might inquire at the individual departmental offices.

  Q. Is there any other tutoring available?

A.There is a Student Support Services office on campus that provides math and language arts tutoring. Some students with disabilities will also qualify for this program. Please discuss this with your disability advisor.

Back to the top of page Back to Tutoring question list


  Q. What other on-campus, employment services are available for me?

A.Career Services offers a multitude of employment services. Many of you, especially those with majors in the Business School or Allied Health will need to complete an internship with Career Services prior to graduation. They also provide assistance with resume preparation, interviewing skills, and other job-hunting skills. They offer a post-graduation placement service for the small fee of $20.

  Q. What is the Americans with Disabilities Act?

A.This is a civil rights act which is intended to eliminate discrimination against people with disabilities in the work place. It attempts to eliminate environmental barriers and unfair hiring practices. See Legal section.

  Q. Why do I need to learn about the American with Disabilities Act?

A. Even if you do not require many accommodations for your disability, you may one day be in the position to hire someone who does. The world is changing and more and more people with severe physical disabilities are being hired into the workplace. Currently, the percentage of people with disabilities who are gainfully employed remains under 50%. The ADA intends to change that. You need to know both for yourself and any employees that may be working with you. The vocational classes also cover issues such as self-advocacy and accommodating your disability on the job site.

Back to the top of page Back to Career question list

Students Who Suspect That They Might Have a Disability

  Q. Where do I go if I think I might have a disability?

A.If you, a friend, family member or instructor think that you might have a possible disability that is not diagnosed, you can make an appointment to talk with a disability specialist at the Disability Resource Services Office, 165 Murphy, (608) 785-6900.

  Q. What signs should I look for if I think I might have a disability?

A.Some signs of a Learning Disability are persistent difficulties in one or more of the following areas: reading, writing, arithmetic, spelling, putting your thoughts down on paper, remembering what you see or hear, coordination, paying attention, organization, and/or sitting still.

Some symptoms of ADHD are: difficulty following through on instructions, keeping attention on tasks, loses things necessary for tasks at home or school, doesn't listen, seems disorganized, forgetful, easily distracted, trouble with tasks requiring long-term mental effort, fidgety, talks excessively, blurts out answers, trouble waiting their turn and/or interrupts.

  Q. What kind of testing do I have to have to diagnose a disability?

A.If you think you might have a learning disability or attention deficit disorder and the disability specialist refers you for diagnostic testing, possible tests would be: Woodcock Johnson-R, Weschler Adult Intelligence Scale, Wide Range Achievement Test to name a few. (Other diagnostic tests may be used dependent upon where you have the testing done.)

  Q. Can I get the testing done on campus?

A.No, the specialists usually refer you to off campus facilities, depending upon your insurance.

Back to the top of page Back to Students Who Suspect That They Might Have a Disability question list

  Q. Who pays for the diagnostic testing?

A.Family insurance is the first place to check. If diagnostic testing is not covered under your insurance or you do not have insurance, the disability specialist can refer you to some private vendors (out of pocket) or the Division of Vocational Rehabilitation.

  Q. What kind of support will I get if I am diagnosed with a disability and are there any accommodations I can utilize while the testing is being completed?

A.By law, a person is not legally entitled to accommodations until the diagnostic testing is complete and a disability is diagnosed. The Disability Resource Services will work with the student while they are seeking the diagnostic testing with support from their advisors on strategies and skills that may be beneficial. If a student with a disability is in their classes (and is receiving notes), they may be able to get a copy of the notes.

After a student is diagnosed with a disability, they then qualify for accommodations under Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973. See the page on accommodations for an idea of the what may be available.

Back to the top of page Back to Students Who Suspect That They Might Have a Disability question list

Adaptive Technology

  Q. What adaptive technology is available on the campus? Where?

A. Currently the computer General Access Labs (GCA) have an adaptive technology station that consists of: computer, monitor, scanner, printing capabilities, speakers and software programs. The software programs are: Kurzweil 3000 for students with learning disabilities, Kurzweil 1000 for students with visual impairments, and JAWS for Windows for all students with print disabilities. The Kurzweil programs are a scan/read program that will scan typed material and read it to the student. JAWS is a screen reading program only. The JAWS and Kurzweil 3000 program can also access and read the Web. There are also stations in the Murphy Library Adaptive Technology room and Cartwright Computing Lab.

Back to the top of page Back to Adaptive Technology question list