Temporary Disabilities

According to the Office of Civil Rights, a student with a temporary disability (e.g., broken arm or leg, etc.) "does not constitute a disability for purposes of Section 504 or the ADA unless its severity is such that it results in a substantial limitation of one or more major life activities for an extended period of time. The issue of whether a temporary impairment is substantial enough to be a disability must be resolved on a case-by-case basis, taking into consideration both the duration (or expected duration) of the impairment and the extent to which it actually limits a major life activity of the affected individual."

Individuals with impairments expected to last less than three months are generally not eligible for services from Disability Resource Services.  However, we encourage students to meet with a DRS advisor so we  can assist with information regarding academic needs and physical access.

For a temporary medical condition, a handicapped-parking sticker can be obtained by going to Parking and Transportation Services at 525 East Ave N in La Crosse. A doctor's recommendation is required. For more information regarding the handicapped-parking sticker, please contact Parking and Transportation Services at (608) 785-8061.

If an extended absence notification (more than one week) or withdrawal from the university, including medical withdrawal, is needed, contact the Student Life Office located in 149 Main Hall at (608) 785-8062.

If residence hall accessibility is needed, contact the Office of Residence Life in Eagle Hall at (608) 785-8075. If classroom notes or testing assistance is needed, contact the course instructor.