ACADEMIC PROGRAM REVIEW OF THE EDUCATIONAL STUDIES PROGRAM
Early Childhood-Middle Childhood (EC-MC) / Middle Childhood-Early Adolescence (MC-EA) /
Early Adolescence-Adolescence (EA-A) / Early Childhood-Adolescence (EC-A)
College of Liberal Studies
March 28, 2006
Program Director Response to the APR Report
In light of these concerns and the self-study report, the APR Committee makes the following recommendations:
· Hire a permanent Director of Teacher Education.
The SOE Director Search and Screen Committee members forwarded a “Recommend to Hire” list to Dean Mason on March 23, 2006.
· Pursue new faculty positions, especially in Science Education, Reading/Literacy Education, Educational Foundations, Early Childhood Education, and Masters of Education-Professional Development Director.
As of 3/28/06 the science position has been filled, the ECE position has a recommendation to hire given to the dean, and the foundations and literacy searches are bringing people to campus.
· Focus on completing the process of reorganization and Middle Level/Secondary Program reform that is outlined in the “Working Draft - 10/28/04” document within the EC-MC/MC-EA and EA-A/EC-A self-study.
This process is continuing.
· Work with the Faculty Senate Office to locate previous Academic Program Review documentation. The data included in these documents may be useful in future planning initiatives.
· Continue to seek UW-L research and faculty development funding, UW System grants, and external funding.
· Implement a plan for unit-wide evaluation of all field experiences.
· Implement the self-assessment rubric for oral language and writing.
· Implement a formalized system for peer review of teaching.
· Begin collecting data from alumni surveys and employer surveys.