November 1, 2007
To: Carmen Wilson, Chair
From: Articles and Bylaws Committee
Keith Sherony, Chair
Re: Committee Report
In its August 13, 2007 charge letter, the Articles and Bylaws Committee was instructed to amend bylaw wording for two Faculty Standing Committees. A third charge to amend bylaw wording was directed to the committee in an October 4, 2007 email. What follows are the charges and the committee’s recommendations for wording.
· Develop by-law language for the Research and Grants committee to “inform grant applicants of their award. Applicants who do not receive money shall be given reasons for their denial.”
Duties and responsibilities of the committee shall include:
1. Establishing written guidelines and screening and selection procedures for research proposals.
2. Establishing written procedures for evaluating and ranking research proposals.
3. Receiving and evaluating research proposals from members of the faculty.
4. Apportioning institutional funds for research.
Advising the coordinator of gifts and grants in the solicitation of grant
Providing the UW-L Foundation with a list of committee faculty members from
which it may select advisory members for its Grants and Review Committee.
Membership of the committee shall consist
of the provost/vice chancellor (or his/her designated representative) and
nine faculty members. Members of the faculty who submit research proposals
during a given year shall not be members of the committee during that year. The
coordinator of gifts and grants shall serve as an administrative consultant to
the committee for grants advisory purposes. The committee shall elect its chair
· Develop by-law language for the General Education Committee to elect its chair.
Membership of the committee shall
consist of nine faculty, none of whom shall have any designated administrative
responsibility, and one student appointed annually by the Student Association.
Consecutive appointments may be allowed for up to five years. The faculty
membership shall include at least two representatives from each of the
College of Liberal Studies and the College of Science and Health, and at
least one representative from the College of Business Administration. One
alternate shall be provided for each appointed member, and so far as possible,
representation of appointed members and alternates shall be rotated with respect
to departments and schools. In addition, the Director of the General
Education Program shall be a member of the committee
and shall serve as the chair and convener of the committee.
The provost/vice chancellor, the registrar, and the academic deans shall serve
as administrative consultants to the committee.
· Update the Joint Promotion Committee bylaws to accurately reflect how information about the promotion process is disseminated. This recommendation was prompted by the following considerations:
1. UW-L no longer has an Employee Handbook and information about promotion in A Guide to Faculty Promotions and Portfolio Development at UW-La Crosse, which is located on the HR website.
2. The JPC no longer publicizes its procedures in the Campus Connection, rather they are in the aforementioned guide on the HR website.
3. The JPC should be obliged to publicize its informational meeting in the Campus Connection.
N. The Joint Promotion Committee
Duties and responsibilities of the committee shall include reviewing promotion files subject to the following rules of operation:
1. The committee members shall
use the general performance and achievement criteria that are described in
Employee Handbook under the heading of "Rank, Promotion and Tenure."
Criteria include teaching, research, professional and public
service, and contributions to the university. The committee shall provide
guidelines for the submission of departmental criteria and other data supporting
candidacy for promotion. Following the establishment of rules and procedures and
prior to submission of candidate application, the Joint Promotion Committee
shall hold a meeting for eligible candidates to describe the promotion process.
The Joint Promotion Committee shall publicize
the procedures that it
employs Campus Connection
annually and prior to the submission deadline for promotion files.