Faculty Senate

                                        

April 17, 2008                                                                                                                            Robert C. Voight Faculty Senate Chambers

Vol. 42, No. 15                                                                                                                          325 Graff Main Hall – 3:30 p.m.

                                       

I.   Roll Call

Present:  M. Abler, R. Ahmed, J. Anderson, S. Brokaw, S. Crutchfield, L. Dickmeyer, J. Heim, K. Hoar, K. Hunt, S. Kelly, R. Knox, A. Loh, C. Miller, P. Miller, J. Miskowski, A. Olson, S. Senger, S. Smith, G. Straker, R. Sullivan, B. Udermann, C. Wilson

Excused: V. Crank, D. Hoskins

 

II. The minutes of April 3, 2008 meeting were approved.

 

III. Reports

           

A.   Chair’s Report

An extra Senate meeting will be held May 8, 2008.

SEC Activities

The SEC completed the review of themes identified in the most recent evaluation of administrative offices and developed questions based on those themes.  The SEC has sent the initial results and the questions to the respective offices and will be disseminating the survey the week of April 21. 

Legislator Visit

Ron Kind, Dan Kapanke, Jennifer Schilling, and Lee Neirson will be on campus next Friday, April 25.  They will be attending a brown bag lunch at 12:30 in the Ward Room.

Advantage Wisconsin Update

Faculty Representatives and Provosts have been asked to forward names of faculty who could be invited to attend a meeting regarding the system-wide learning outcomes on May 22, 2008.  The SEC has sent the names of all faculty who have been members of the General Education Committee for the past three years, as well as faculty who served on the General Education Design Team.  In addition, our Office of Professional & Instructional Development Representative (OPID), faculty members of the Equity Score Card team, and faculty members of System Advisory Group on the Liberal Arts (SAGLA) have been invited.

 

B.  Chancellor

The Chancellor was not able to attend.

 

C.  Faculty Representative’s Report

The last Faculty Representatives meeting was held April 4, 2008.  The Joint Committee on Employment Relations (JCOER or “joker”) has been delaying a 1.5% salary increase from tuition.  It appears that it will not be going to faculty.  The State budget lapse would put a $25,000,000 share on the UW System.  It is planned that the 1.5% faculty salary increase that JCOER is holding will probably go as a down payment to the UW System $25,000,000 give back.  It has also been decided that the 2%, 2%, 1% pay raise schedule over this biennium will be changed to a 2%, 1%, 2% plan. 

 

System-wide initiatives priorities for 2009-2011 have been set as

·         Full funding of veterans remissions

·         Financial Aid for students

·         Recruitment and Retention Funding for faculty

·         Advantage Wisconsin: Growing the Research Infrastructure (library component)

D.  Student Association Representative’s Report

The Student Senate will hold a student referendum to see if the student’s $750,000 allocated for the second stage of the stadium project could be used for the first stage instead.

 

IV.  Graduate Council

            A.  Report on issues faced by graduate students as identified in a 2006-2007 survey of

                  graduate students and strategies to address identified issues

UW-L was compared to fourteen other peer graduate schools of comparable size offering masters degrees and no doctoral degrees.   UW-L has similar graduate school policies and admissions standards.  UW-L has the second highest cost and is one of three of these schools with no graduate dean.  UW-L graduate students have a good record for research and attending conferences.  UW-L lags behind in terms of funding.  More funding for teaching assistantships and research assistantships and tuition wavers and in-state tuition wavers would help.

 

            B.  Graduate Council Resolution

The Graduate Council proposed that greater allocation of financial resources by the University is vital to maintaining the quality and capacity of graduate-level education at UW-La Crosse. They stated that the Faculty Senate and the University community needs to engage in a broad discussion on the state of graduate education at UW-La Crosse in order to appropriately prioritize such education within the mission of this University, thereby increasing:

· UW-L’s competitive edge in recruiting high quality graduate students and faculty and supporting the travel and research of those students and faculty

· The ability of graduate students and faculty to enhance the quality of both the graduate and undergraduate educational experience at UW-L

· UW-L’s reputation for high quality education

· UW-L’s contribution and commitment to a lifelong continuum of learning

 

The question was asked if more resources go to graduate programs, what would it be taken from.  It was pointed out that graduate students do pay differential tuition and segregated fees.  Some funds could come from these segregated fees where graduate students currently do not receive as much as they put into this fund.

 

M\S\P

Accept the resolution

 

            C. Recommendations to change the policy on incomplete grades

M\S\P

New Grade Policy as approved: 

1.  “PR” Grade

            A “PR” grade (for Progress) will be used for seminar papers, theses, and terminal or culminating projects.  The “PR” grade would be subject to the seven-year period for degree completion.  If the “PR” grade is not changed after the seven-year period, the “PR” grade will either default to an “F” or the grade that was assigned by the instructor when completing the form.  

2.  Incomplete Grades

            A student will have up to one calendar year (12 months) to have an incomplete “I” grade changed, barring any extenuating circumstances.  A failing grade of “F” or the grade noted by the instructor when completing the incomplete form will be recorded for incomplete grades that are not removed within one calendar year of the date recorded, whether or not a student is enrolled.

 

3.  Change of Grade  

            An instructor may request to change a final grade immediately following the close of the semester in which the grade is first recorded.  The instructor and department chair authorize the change by signing a “Change of Grade” form and forwarding it to the appropriate dean for signature.  The dean will then file it with the Records and Registration Office. 

            An instructor may request to change a final letter grade one semester immediately following the close of the semester in which the grade is first recorded.  The instructor and department chair authorize the change by signing a “Change of Grade” form and forwarding it to the appropriate dean for signature.  The dean will then file it with the Records and Registration Office.

4.  Appeal of Change of Grade by an Instructor  

            An instructor may appeal the change of grade timeline after the one semester

timeline has expired.  The appeal will be heard first by the Graduate Advisory Board of the Graduate Council.  Their recommendation will be presented to the full Graduate Council for deliberation.

 

V.  IT Strategic Plan

This plan was introduced at the last Faculty Senate meeting.  Since then, the Academic Staff Council has approved the plan.

 

This plan comes with no budget and no time-line.

 

M\S\P

Accept the IT Strategic Plan

 

VI. Faculty Development – Report on the promotion and advertisement of faculty development monies

The Faculty Development committee receives an annual allocation of $40,000 and awards three different types of grants.

  1. Teaching Innovation Grants (TI) - $1500 maximum
  2. Scholarship of Teaching and Learning Grants (SoTL) – unlimited

3.    Professional Development Grants (PD) – unlimited with a $3000 summer stipend is allowed

This year they received 20 proposals requesting funding (8 in the fall and 12 in the spring).

In the Fall semester, 6 grants were PD and  2 were SoTL. In the Spring semester, 9 grants were PD, 2 were SoTL, and 1 was a TI grant.  Awards consisted of $14,470.80 in the fall semester and $25,470.00 in the spring semester.  There was $59.20 left over to be returned to the Provost’s Office and used for faculty development purposes.

 

Campus e-mail reminders of deadline for submissions were very useful for informing the campus of these funds. Information on the Web and in the Campus Connection was also used.  Bill Cerbin was used as a contact by several faculty with questions about the grants. There has been an increase in requests for funds and more requests for summer support.  The Faculty Development Committee will post sample grant submissions on the Web to help faculty in the future.  Next year the committee is considering changing from two deadlines to one February deadline.  This would also guarantee funding for spring submitters.

 

VII.  Library Committee:  Resolutions on Acquisitions Budget Crisis at Murphy Library

 

M\S\P

Supports the following two resolutions

These will be sent to a UW System wide group and possibly others on campus.

 

Resolution for UW-L Support of the Library Budget for Acquisitions and Access:

The Faculty Senate supports increasing the Library budget for acquisitions and access and asks that the University consider the following among other means: 

·              Differential tuition funding

·              Growth, Quality, and Access funding

·              Charging or allocating special fees for Library use as appropriate

 

Resolution for Advantage Wisconsin: Growing the Research Infrastructure (Library Component):

The UW-La Crosse Faculty Senate supports the UW System biennial budget request for funding for UW Libraries to increase electronic access to information to benefit students and faculty/staff.

 

VIII.  General Education Committee – charge for General Education/University Core Ad Hoc Assessment Committee

Betsey Knowles has agreed to serve as the CBA representative on the ad hoc Assessment Committee.

 

M\S\P 

Accept the below charges

Charge for the ad hoc Assessment Committee (AHAC) for AY 08-09:

The Assessment Committee should coordinate the development and implementation of assessment tools by departments that address at least one of the Student Learning Outcomes (SLO) identified for their General Education courses. Assessment of all General Education courses must occur no later than Fall 2009.

The Assessment Committee will work with departments t:

  • Ensure that appropriate assessment tools are developed for each SLO
  • Assist with implementation of the assessment tools by Fall 2009
  • Develop a simple form for departments to use to report assessment results based on the LX140 form
  • Collect assessment results from departments
  • Provide assessment learning opportunities including workshops
  • Serve as a resource for assessment so that departments know who to contact if they have questions about assessing their courses

The Assessment Committee will work with General Education Committee (GEC) to

  • Prepare an initial report for the GEC by the end of the 2008-2009 academic year, including an analysis and discussion of any assessment results 
  • Gather any additional information that is deemed necessary by GEC

Note: For further information the AHAC should consult The University Core Assessment Plan prepared by the General Education Assessment Task Force on October 2007.  

  

IX. Dean Search & Screen Committees:  SEC Nominees

SEC looked for a wide representation of disciplines and gender/racial diversity.

Three members of the SEC wanted a wide range of faculty ranks represented on the committee and felt there should be a faculty member chosen from outside the college in each case.  One SEC member noted that the colleges were large and diverse and all members could come from the respective colleges.  If other were to be chosen from outside the respective colleges, there should have been notice given so that more people could have been chosen from, instead of one of two people.  Several Senators spoke on both sides of this issue.

 

There was concern voiced that if an Instructional Academic Staff (IAS) person is put on the committee, it should be someone who has a strong understanding of the needs of IAS personnel.

 

 

            A.  SAH

 

SAH Dean Search & Screen:  SEC Nominees 

Name

Department

Rank

Kosiak, Jennifer

Math

Assistant

Monte, Aaron

Chemistry

Full

Reuteman, Paul

Health Professions

IAS

Vogt, Kim

Sociology

Full

Yu, Chia-Chen

ESS

Associate

Cooper, Scott (Alternate)

Biology

Full

Wycoff-Horn, Marcie (Alternate)

Health Ed/Health Promotion

Associate

SAH Dean Search & Screen:  Other Volunteers 

Name

Department

Rank

Anglehart, Sue

Biology

IAS

Galbraith, Anne

Biology

Associate

Hoar, Kerrie

Biology

IAS

Bratina, Bonnie

Microbiology

Associate

Bryan, Jeff

Chemistry/NMT

Associate

Grunwald, Sandy

Chemistry

Associate

Gendreau, Tom

Computer Science

Associate

Hunt, Kenny

Computer Science

Associate

Riley, Dave

Computer Science

Full

Senger, Steve

Computer Science

Full

Blum, Kim

ESS

IAS

Dirocco, Pat

ESS

Associate

Gibson, Mark

ESS

Assistant

Mikat, Richard

ESS

Full

Tymeson, Garth

ESS

Full

Udermann, Brian

ESS

Associate

Ahmed, Rafique

Geography/Earth Science

Full

Berlin, Cynthia

Geography & Earth Science

Associate

Denton, Peggy

Health Professions

Associate

Dougherty, Deborah

Health Professions

IAS

Fater, Dennis

Health Professions

Full

Malone, Ed

Health Professions

IAS

Macias-Gonzalez, Victor

History

Associate

Arimond, George

Rec Management/TR

Full

Kelly, Susan

Math

Full

Riley, Bruce

Math

Full

 

M\S\F  (10-11)  List above was not accepted

 

M\S\P

Remove Kim Vogt from the above list and add Scott Cooper.

 

M\S\F (7-14)

Add Kim Vogt as the first alternate to this committee

 

M\S\P

Add Kenny Hunt to the alternate list (second position)

  

                    

            B. CLS

CLS Dean Search & Screen:  SEC Nominees

Name

Department

Rank

Anderson, Joe

Theater Arts

Associate

Brunsell, Eric

Ed Studies

Assistant

Dougherty, Deborah

Health Professions

IAS

Jessee, Sharon

English

Full

Johnson, Emily

Psychology

Associate

Dorado, Dorian (Alternate)

Modern Languages

Assistant

Tollefson, Michael (Alternate)

Communication Studies

Associate

 

CLS Dean Search & Screen:  Other Volunteers 

Name

Department

Rank

Ready, John

Art

Associate

Terpstra, Karen

Art

Associate

Williams-Terpstra, Jennifer

Art

Associate

Smith, Ronda (Knox)

Communication Studies

Full

Olivas, Margarita

Communication Studies

Assistant

Krajewski, Bob

Ed Studies

Full

Cashion, Matt

English

Assistant

Crank, Virginia

English

Associate

Pandit, Lalita

English

Full

Pribek, Tom

English

Assistant

Sullivan, Dick

English

Associate

Wycoff-Horn, Marcie

Health Ed/Health Promotion

Associate

Buffton, Deborah

History

Full

Macias-Gonzalez, Victor

History

Associate

Socha, Don

Modern Languages

Associate

Fisher, Tammy

Music

Associate

Pinnell, Rich

Music

Full

Tollefson, Mary

Music

Associate

Ross, Sheri

Philosophy

Assistant

Blumentritt, Tracie

Psychology

Associate

Dixon, Rob

Psychology

Assistant

VanVoorhis, Bart

Psychology

Associate

Mc Andrews, Tim

Sociology

Full

 

M\S\P (13-7)  

Accept the list of SEC nominees listed above

 

X.  Articles and Bylaws – change to eligibility requirements for department chairs, first read

 

V.  The Selection of Department Chairpersons

            B. Eligibility Requirements for Serving as Chairperson 

                        1. All members of a department shall be eligible to serve as department chairperson provided they are:  

                                    a. Tenured and of the rank of assistant professor or above;

                                    b. On staff of this university at least three full semesters;

                                    c. Not on terminal contract or temporary appointment.

 

Billy Clow spoke against the motion as someone who found being chair before tenure did work well for him.  By-laws can be suspended for special circumstances, but this may in practice become difficult if the original ballot does not contain these other names.  These names could be added to the bottom of the ballot with some explanation.

 

XI. Old Business

 

XII. New Business

 

XIII. Adjournment

 

The meeting adjourned at 5:00 p.m.

Respectfully Submitted,

Susan Kelly