Faculty Senate Executive Committee Minutes

327 Graff Main Hall

Feb. 10, 2009

3 p.m.

 

Present:  Joe Heim, Rebecca LeDocq, Susan Crutchfield, Brian Udermann;

Visitors:  Bob Hoar

 

1.  Minutes of the Feb. 3, 2009 SEC meeting were approved.

 

2.  AAO Position

Heim will meet with Donna Anderson and will probably bring her concerns to the Chancellor, asking him to reopen the search when it is convenient. 

 

3. Ad Hoc Committee on Textbook Rental Policy

Heim spoke with Larry Ringgenberg about expanding the committee to six faculty from three, and about having the Chair of the committee be a faculty member.  He is amenable;  Paula Knudsen expressed concerns.  Senate will continue to stress the need for a large faculty presence on the committee. 

            From a list of volunteers, SEC chose the following faculty to be on the committee:

 

            CLS

            Sandi Krajewski (WGSS)

            Betsy Morgan (Psychology)

Rick Roderick (Communications Studies)

            Dick Sullivan (English)

 

            SAH

            Rafique Ahmed (Geography and Earth Science)

 

            CBA

            John Betton (Management)

 

4.  Student Association Resolution

            Students requested SEC support for SA Resolution 0809-043, which will be considered at the Student Senate tomorrow, Wed., Feb. 4.  The Resolution Recommending the Allocation of Campus Community Enrichment Fund Dollars to Academic Initiatives proposes a onetime allocation of $231,000 from the Campus Community Enrichment Fund (Pepsi Funds) to the Academic Initiatives, which have lost much of their funding.  Student Senate has control over the CCEF monies, and there are currently no competing requests for that money.

           

Motion:  to support SA 0809-043 Resolution Recommending the Allocation of Campus Community Enrichment Fund Dollars to Academic Initiatives.

M/S/P.

 

5. Educational Methods Positions

Concerns have been expressed to SEC regarding the process by which educational methods positions are returning to their subject area departments from the DES. How will faculty in the subject area departments have a say in this process?  SEC will invite the Provost to provide more information on this process.

 

6.  Ad Hoc Committees

It was agreed that any ad hoc committee of the Faculty Senate, as well as any committee to which the Senate sends names, should be listed on the Senate website (e.g., the Provost’s Ad Hoc Mission Statement Committee, the Online SEI Task Force, etc.).

 

7.  UW-L Foundation Small Grants Committee

            At Ron Rada’s request, the Senate will send out a call for nominees to the UW-L Foundation Small Grants Committee.

 

8.  IAS Handbook

            Kerry Hoar will speak with SEC about possible actions in an upcoming meeting.

 

9.  CATL proposal

            This will likely be on the Senate agenda on Feb. 19. 

 

10.  The meeting was adjourned at 4:05 p.m.

 

Respectfully submitted,

Susan Crutchfield