Faculty Senate Executive Committee Minutes

3:00 p.m. – 327 Graff Main Hall

May 5, 2009

 

Present:  Joe Heim, Rebecca LeDocq, Susan Crutchfield, Brian Udermann;

Visitors:  Kathleen Enz Finken, Bob Hoar

 

1.  Minutes from the April 28, 2009 SEC meeting were approved. 

 

2.  Nominees for 2009-2010 SEC

            The then-current list of nominees and the voting process were reviewed.

 

3.  Auxiliary Funds Raid

            One third of our obligation has been rescinded by the legislature.

 

4. Academic Program Review

            The committee has met only once or twice this year.  Thus program reviews will not be ready this year; Senate will have to hear them in the fall.  It would be advisable next year to amend the committee’s charge to require two (or another appropriate number) reports from APR per month in the fall to take care of this backlog.

 

5.  Ethnic and Racial Studies

            Carol Oyster has been designated the Director of ERS.

 

6.  Joint Planning and Budget Committee

There is a meeting of this committee tomorrow.  R. LeDocq will provide Senate an update on Thursday.

 

7.  End of Year Reports

            Committee Chairs should be encouraged to submit their end-of-year reports.

 

8. MEPD

            The elimination of the Reading Programs is on the agenda for Thursday.

 

9.  BA of Fine Arts

            This still needs some committee approvals, so it will be off the Senate agenda for now.

 

10.  Elimination of Programs Process

            There was some discussion of the process for making decisions about what programs will be eliminated. Within the department, these decisions are made as any other decision is made, via votes.  Then they would be forwarded to the dean for approval.  What happens if a department cannot arrive at a decision?  The dean could initiate an elimination.

 

11.  Senate Meetings/Future Committee Charges

A scheduled May 14th Senate meeting may not be needed.  The SEC will meet in June to help transition to the new SEC group.  Committee charges for the next year will be discussed.

Provost would like the following items to be considered by CAPS next year:  the course repeat policy; a policy requiring completion of math and college composition courses within a certain number of credits;  a policy to forgive student absences when they are due to student participation in University sanctioned events.

 

12.  PTS

This committee will bring recommendations regarding the Recruitment and Retention Fund document to Senate this week.  It will also deliver a report on salary compression. 

 

13.  Bylaws Changes (Standardization)

            Who has oversight of the Senate-approved departmental bylaws changes?  These were passed by Senate last year for implementation this year, and some departments have not yet made the required changes.  Heim will send a reminder to department chairs.

 

14.  Medical Dosemetry Degree

            Senate needs to approve this this year. 

 

15.  Meeting adjourned at 3:50 p.m.

 

Respectfully submitted,

Susan Crutchfield