UNIVERSITY OF WISCONSIN-LA CROSSE
INDIRECT COST RECOVERY DISTRIBUTION PROPOSAL
FISCAL YEAR 2009-10
The University of Wisconsin-La Crosse Strongly encourages its faculty and staff to engage in sponsored projects to undertake research, scholarly and creative activities as well as educational and curriculum innovations. The purpose of the Indirect Cost Recovery Distribution Proposal is to establish guidelines for the use and distribution of the recovered indirect cost funds from sponsored grants and programs.
GOALS OF INDIRECT COST RECOVERY POLICY
1. Establish guidelines for the use and distribution of indirect cost recovery funds that are consistent with fiscal policies for Facilities and Administrative (Indirect) costs.
2. Ensure the proper accounting treatment for indirect cost recovery funds to match institutional expenditures with the source of funds and reimburse the university for costs incurred with sponsored research.
3. Provide a source of funding to the College/Division and Department to support activities for sponsored research and expenses for research administration.
4. Develop financial incentives for Principal Investigators and provide financial support for
continued sponsored research and grant activity.
INDIRECT COST RECOVERY FUNDS DISTRIBUTION
General Administration 60%
Principal Investigator 0%
General Administration 85%
Principal Investigator 5%
1. Indirect cost recovery funds currently provide approximately $105,000 in annual funding support to the colleges for expenses related to faculty development and S&E. As part of the Indirect Cost Recovery Distribution Proposal, a base budget transfer of $105,000 in 131 funding resources will be made to the colleges to offset the redistribution of indirect cost recovery funds with allocations of $5,000 to CBA, $45,000 to CLS, and $55,000 to SAH.
2. The allocation of indirect cost recovery funds from the General Administration percentage share will provide institutional funding support for MVAC, the Office of Research and Sponsored Programs, Information Technology, Grant Accounting, and other facilities and administrative expenses as identified in the Indirect Cost Budget Summary.