FACULTY SENATE EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE MINUTES
4:00pm – 327 Graff Main Hall
September 29, 2009
Members: Joe Heim, Kerrie Hoar, Becky LeDocq, Adrienne Loh, and Bart Van Voorhis
Visitors: Bob Hoar
- Minutes from September 22 SEC meeting approved as amended.
- CourseHero.com – This for-profit website appears to have multiple assignments and tests posted from UWL courses. Concern about copyright infringement and ability to have items removed from the site were discussed. System Legal may have some insight on this.
- Committee Meeting Times: Committees often have a difficult time finding a meeting time. The issue is compounded when members have extremely limited availability and flexibility. To help address this issue, a note will be added to the FS committees application form stating, “When you volunteer to serve on a committee, you are making the commitment to make every reasonable effort to attend committee meetings.”
- Draft October 15 Faculty Senate Agenda:
i. PTS report on the role of the Director of the School of Education in personnel decisions.
ii. APR report on the role of the Provost in the review process
iii. List of revised Student Learning Objectives (SLOs) due from Gen Ed. This item may not be ready for the Oct. 15 meeting.
iv. Nomination of the Faculty Representative to the IT Working Group (Oct. 5 deadline)
v. APC 2008-09 final report and recommendations
vi. IAS Policies (UWL8-13) should be ready for presentation if time allows
- Inclusive Excellence: UWS was on campus today for the UWL IE launch activities. Inclusive Excellence should be added to an upcoming FS agenda to disseminate more information on this initiative.
- Departments in Non-Compliance with Bylaws Deadline: Articles and Bylaws Committee will send a list of non-compliant departments to SEC and SEC will contact them.
- IAS Policies Update: UWL8-13 have been approved by Academic Staff Council and will be voted on by the IAS Committee on Friday, October 2.
- International Education Committee Recommendation Update: The funding source mentioned in the IEC recommendation is not available for this purpose. Becky will request historical data from the committee regarding the number of International Development Funds requests and the amount of each request. Once this information has been gathered, this recommendation will be brought back to FS for further discussion.
- Online Education Handbook: Brian Udermann and Kristin Koepke are looking for SEC feedback and eventual FS approval of the policies outlined in the handbook. Discussion of the policies began and will be continued at a future SEC meeting when Brian and Kristin can be in attendance. During the discussion, the idea of the potential need for a Faculty Senate online course oversight committee was mentioned.
- Indirect Costs from Grant Overhead Funds Issue: An Open Forum is in the works to discuss this issue with Bob Hetzel. Friday, October 9 is one potential date.
Meeting adjourned at 5:20pm.
Kerrie Hoar, secretary