Minutes-Monday, September 10, 2001
325 Graff Main Hall
Members Present: G. Arimond, D. Duquette, Chair, G. Gilmore, C. Graham, T.
Kernozek, T. Uphoff, G. Walsko
Members Excused: K. Harbst, T. Krueger
Members Absent: L. Oganowski
Consultants Present: M. Anderson, K. McLean, D. Schumacher, C. Martin-Stanley
Consultants Absent: J. Finch
Dan Duquette, Chair, called the meeting to order at 10:00 a.m.
1. Introductions of members.
2. Review of Senate Faculty charge: The Graduate Council will respond
as requested by February 1, 2001. Dan gave handouts, regarding the
responsibility of Graduate Council Members. Dan ask for input from council members.
3. Calendars for the 2001 fall semester were reviewed and discussed.
4. Dan informed the council members that he sent a letter to the associate
deans in regards to scheduling a meeting. The purpose of this meeting is
to cover issues to include graduate faculty membership and the university
strategic plan. He would also like to begin looking at the future of
graduate education at UW-L looking at
the past, where UW-L is currently and the future. Dan would like to see graduate education at UW-L centralized and to be more recognized across the UW-L campus. He informed the council that the graduate education program has increased from 21 to 25 programs. Many people are not aware of the increase. Also
discussed were scholarship programs, assistantships, tuition waivers for graduate students.
5. Three volunteers are needed to review Graduate Student Research Applications.
6. Graduate Faculty Membership Review Teams:
· SAH: Kim Harbst, Greg Walsko
· HPERTE: Gary Gilmore, Tom Kernozek, Tim Uphoff
· CLS: George Arimond, Carla Graham
· MBA: Tom Krueger, Leslie Oganowski
Meeting Adjourned: 11:05 a.m.
cc: Graduate Council Members
Graduate Council File
Faculty Senate Office
Graduate Program Directors