International Education Committee
Meeting Minutes – April 1, 2002
Present: Don Kuderer, Andrew Stapleton, Jonathan Majak (chair), Robin McCannon, Ronald McKelvey, Mehmet T. Aritan, Eric Kraemer
Excused: Gary Gilmore, Sharon Scherwitz, Jac Bulk, June Reinert
Guests: Hong Rost (IEO) for Jay Lokken
- The meeting was
called to order at 3:52 p.m.
- Majak: notice of April 2, 2002 meeting with the Deans’ Council – International Development Fund
- Majak: Gary Gilmore is back from a study tour of England and Wales
- Minutes of March 4,
2002 were unanimously approved with minor revisions. < <
style="margin-left:.5in;mso-list:l2 level1 lfo1; Discussion from Hong Rost
report on Admission Freeze at the UW System which was later lifted.
The report by UW System was not entirely accurate as UW-Madison, UW-Eau
Claire, and UW-La Crosse all were not lifted out of freeze because each had
previously met enrollment targets.
There is concern over the International Admission, whose deadline is April
15, as we are unable to accept ANY students.
This impacts both incoming and outgoing study abroad students [UW-L has 19
reciprocal agreements]. For Fall
2002 this freeze impacts 60 outgoing and 40 incoming students.
4. Next, announcement regarding Saturday’s International Student banquet at 6 p.m.; any group order of ten or more receives one free ticket. Banquet is always a sell-out.
5. Review policy was discussed. Rost reported that IEO has some documents related to faculty led study abroad. These could be used in drafting the review policy.
6. The meeting adjourned at 4:28 p.m.