Faculty Senate Library Committee
7 Nov 2001 Meeting Minutes
In attendance: Gwen Achenreiner, Jim
Batesky, Abdulaziz Elfessi, Anita Evans, Tim Gerber, Elsie Patterson, Chris
Prucha, Beth Seebach, Chia-Chen Yu
· Motion/Seconded/Pass - Approval of minutes from last meeting
· Discussion of Faculty Senate Library Committee membership size; there are 12 members from depts. across campus and 3 students; do we need more or fewer committee members?; discussion of keeping committee same size
· Motion/Seconded/Pass - Continue to keep the size of the Faculty Senate Library Committee as is.
· Motion/Seconded/Pass - The committee recommends the language of the Faculty Senate Library Committee bylaws be revised to include 2 faculty members from each college.
· Discussion of Strategic Directions Document: A. Evans asked for comments or suggestions concerning resource sharing of electronic documents for delivery to the desk-top
- discussion of where fees are coming from to make this system work; interest in having fees paid for through UW system so that there are no individual charges for each document used
- could a FAQ sheet be developed to answer questions
off-campus students also need access to the system;
how can off-campus students access documents?
Blaser (artist) event at Cleary Center was successful;
brochures will be out soon
· Book sale today and tomorrow
· Library hours were changed for this Fall Semester and the new hour schedule seems to be working well; due to the success of the Fall library hours, library hours will remain the same for the Spring Semester
· Some discussion of getting "counts" of people in library during "off" hour times; suggested that Campus Security could make the counts during late night hours
· Want to look at security report during the Dec meeting if material is not confidential
· Approval has been given to interview for the library collection development position; 3 candidates are being considered
· A "food and drink" group has been meeting to look at the feasibility of having food and beverages at the library or an area close to the library
· How will the library be involved in the university-wide strategic plan???
8 November, 2001