Library Committee Meeting Minutes
of September 19, 2001 (Amended)
Members present: Gwen Achenreiner, Beth Seeback, Chia-Chen Yu, Jim Batesky, Daniel Gerber, Abdulaziz Elfessi, Elsie Patterson, Cris Prucha, Hulya Yazici
Consultant: Anita Evans, Murphy Library Director
Members excused or absent: Susan Crutchfield, Jim Gray, Paul Keaton
The meeting was called to order at 4:00 p.m. by Achenreiner.
Review/Approve minutes: Approval of the April 25, 2001 minutes was tabled until the next meeting so members could review.
Director’s Report/Announcements from Anita Evans:
1. Concerns regarding costs for scholarship materials were discussed. The WI libraries are looking at ways it can be proactive to reduce these costs.
2. The periodicals database developed by Jen Holman was mentioned. Members were also encouraged to become familiar with the Library’s new web page.
3. The Universal Borrowing Program is moving out of the pilot phase into the implementation stage.
4. Invitations to the Michael Blaser fundraiser were presented to members.
5. Committee members were asked to review the “Strategic Directions” report for the next meeting.
1. Library Usage/Hours. The committee’s recommendations regarding library hours were reviewed. Anita Evans updated the committee on the decisions the library made in regard to hours for the 2001-2002 school year.
2. Information Literacy. Chris Prucha asked the committee how the information literacy goals could be disseminated. Jim Batesky mentioned that he is doing a pilot study in his classes to assess literacy competencies. It was decided that the library staff would speak with department liaisons and the Chair of the committee should speak with Emily Johnson, Director of General Education, regarding how to better incorporate these goals into the general education program.
1. Charges. The charges for the year were reviewed.
2. Election of Chair and Secretary. Chia-Chen Yu was elected Chair of the Library Committee for the 2001-2002 academic year. Since no one accepted the secretarial position, these duties will be passed each month. The following people volunteered to do the minutes for the first part of the year:
Gwen Achenreiner - September
Jim Batesky - October
Dan Gerber – November
Chris Prucha – December
Abdul El Fesi – February
3. Meeting time. The recommendation was made that the Chair examine committee members’ schedules in an attempt to find an optimal time. (The next meeting is still scheduled for October 17th).
Adjournment: The meeting was adjourned at 5:05 p.m.