University of Wisconsin-La Crosse
Articles and By-Laws Committee (ABC) 2002-2003
111 Wimberly Hall, 1:30P.M.
Present: Cynthia Berlin, Chair; Sandy Krajewski; BOON Murray; Keith Sherony
Meeting was called to order at 1:30p.m. by Chair Cynthia Berlin.
1. Minutes of 2/13/2003 were approved.
2. Request to delay action on standing committee sizes was not accepted. The Articles and
Bylaws Committee is charged with making a recommendation to Faculty Senate by May 1st
1) reduce committee size
2) combine or restructure
3) improve faculty participation
Sherony had prepared a document containing (a) breakdown of faculty positions on 33
committees, (b) discussion questions exploring possible reductions and motivation for faculty
participation, and (c) various tables showing distribution of committee members by
representation among CLS, SAH, CBA, HPERTE, and ED and by entitlement per the current
articles and bylaws. Members will continue to discuss this proposal at the next meeting.
Berlin had systematically gathered commentary from committee chairs regarding size and
this input was further discussed as well as chairs' suggestions verbally conveyed to Sherony
and Krajewski . Murray will attempt to gather factual data on patterns of faculty participation
from the Faculty Senate Office before the next meeting
3. Berlin clarified that there is no action needed regarding the inquiry about assistance with
Faculty Research Day – the committee may seek assistance from faculty who are not
4. No new business.
5. The next meeting was set for 1:30p.m., April 3rd, Room 111 Carl Wimberly Hall. Murray noted
she will be unable to attend due to out-of-state presentation.
Susan "BOON" Murray, Secretary