GRADUATE COUNCIL MEETING MINUTES
Friday, November 14, 2003 (2:30 p.m.)
26 Mitchell Hall
Members Present: G. Tymeson, Chair, R. Dixon, T. Krueger, M. McGuigan, D. Reineke, W. Schwan, D. Sutherland, M. Thorman, C. Logterman (Student Rep.), and J. Winchester (Student Rep.)
Members Absent: S. Johnson-Rodriguez
Consultants B. May, D. Schumacher, C. Martin-Stanley, M. Venneman
Others Present: Mike Hoffman and Mike Winfrey, College of Science and Allied Health
1. Approval of the minutes of October 24, 2003.
M/S/P to approve the minutes of October 24, 2003. (Unanimous)
2. Applications for Graduate Faculty Membership were reviewed. Letters will be sent to applicants from the Director of University Graduate Studies. One tabled candidate will be considered at the next meeting.
3. The Graduate Council meeting on December 12, 2003, will include discussion of a 2nd masters degree in the same graduate program.
4. Graduate Student Research Grant Applications: Garth distributed Graduate Student Research Grant Proposals to Graduate Council Members and gave an overview of the review process.
Reviewers should read the grant program RFP guidelines before reviewing the proposals. Reviewers evaluation sheets are due Monday, December 8, 2003. Return the evaluations sheets to Fran Temp, 142 Mitchell Hall.
5. Proposal for an exception to the Affiliate Membership for external individuals:
1. The College of Science and Allied Health proposed an exception for certain people outside of the university who teach, serve on thesis committees, etc.
2. Mike Hoffman distributed information on these exceptions; please refer to paragraph 2 of the proposal for exception to the rule.
3. The proposal for the exception to the policy will be further discussed at the next Graduate Council Meeting.
4. Mike Winfrey and Ron Rada will draft additional wording to reflect a gradual assumption of advisement/directing roles with graduate students.
Meeting Adjourned: 3:35 p.m.
Respectfully submitted, Fran Temp, Recording Secretary
C: Graduate Council Members
Graduate Council File
Faculty Senate Office
Graduate Program Directors