General Education Committee Minutes
January 20, 2004
331 Cartwright Center
Members Present: Mary Leonard, John Betton, Jean Hindson, Jess Hollenback, Emily Johnson (Chair), Bruce Riley, Mike Winfrey
Members Excused: Sandy Grunwald
Member Resigned: Ray Martinez
Consultants Present: Diane Schumacher, Terry Beck, John Magerus
Guests Present: None
Meeting called to order at 1:40 p.m.
Minutes from 12-1 and 12-8 unavailable
1. Chair report: Emily J. and Mike W. will be attending the ACC&U meeting in March. Emily encouraged committee members to attend (teams of 3 or more from one institution receive a discount). If a 3rd member does not attend, she will ask consultants and subcommittee members if any are interested in attending
2. Assessment Sub-committee pilot report: John Betton reported on the assessment pilot of 17 modern language students. The student responses were scored as:
in-between competent and naïve: 3
a larger sample will be done in the future with 2 freshman writing classes and 2 senior management classes.
3. Structure sub-committee senior survey: Emily compiled the results of the senior survey in a handout that included her “take” on the results summarizing trends, an numerical response for each question, and a summary of the open ended comments
4. Freshman Year Experience sub-committee report:
Ø Jess presented a recommendation from the History dept. for the Freshman year experience.
Ø Jess also discussed a recommendation from the FYE committee for a theme during the freshman year.
M/S/P (unanimous). The Gen Ed committee select a theme that existing gen ed courses can choose to incorporate into their curriculum
Potential topics for a theme were discussed and included:
· Human Rights
M/S/P Human Rights will be the theme for the 2004-2005 academic year.
Ø Possible options of incorporating the theme into the Freshman Year Experience discussed
5. Emily presented the alumni survey. Members should read and send comments to Emily
The meeting was adjourned at 3:45 pm