International Education Committee
330 Cartwright Center
February 13, 2004
Members Present: D. Kuderer, A. Burrowes, S. Rajagopal, G. Cravins, P. Nelson, N. Navar, J. Hill, K. Koppelman, A. Handtke
Member Excused: J. Bryan
Consultants Present: E. Kraemer, J. Lokken, L. Swayhoover
- Meeting called to order by Chair, Dr. Kuderer at 12:10 pm.
- Rajagopal was selected as recording secretary.
- Chair distributed the updated list of Committee members and their contact information.
- Self introduction of members.
- Chair restated the Charge to the Committee by the Faculty Senate Chair and distributed a copy of the letter he wrote (dated January 25, 2004) to Dr. Hoar, Chair, Faculty Senate.
- M/S/P to approve the minutes of the meeting held on October 22, 2003. (8/0/0)
- M/S/P to approve the minutes of the meeting held on November 5, 2003. (8/0/0)
- M/S/P to approve the minutes of the meeting held on November 19, 2003. (8/0/0)
- M/S/P to approve the minutes of the meeting held on December 3, 2003 as amended. (8/0/0)
- Report from Jay Lokken (Director, Office of International Education)
- Shared his observations from the American Council on Education meeting that Provost, Dr. Hitch, Student Association President Mr. Luke Naegele, and he attended.
- Updated the committee with the current status of 128 accounts.
- Requested the committee publicize the international course offering/travel policies of the university. Things have changed since Sept. 11, 2001. He reiterated the importance of complying with the new guidelines.
- In response to Jay Lokken’s request, Committee decided to remind department chairs about the Committee bylaws related to International Programs and ask them to appraise the Office of International Education of such activities on a timely basis.
- Report from Dr. Kraemer (Director, International Studies Curriculum)
- Approval processes for INS 250, INS 251, and INS 252 are moving smoothly. The courses are in various stages of review by the University Curriculum Committee (UCC) and General Education Committee.
- Discussions related to the development of Asian Studies and African Studies emphases within INS Minor are progressing well.
- Next meeting, Friday, February 20, 2004 at 12:05 pm in Room 330 Cartwright Center.
- Meeting was adjourned at 1:10 pm.
Respectfully submitted by