September 13, 2004
TO: Robert Carney, Convener
Promotion, Tenure and Salary Committee (PTS)
FROM: Bruce Riley, Chair
RE: Committee Charge for the 2004-2005 Academic Year
This memo is intended to serve as the initial charge letter to the Promotion, Tenure and Salary Committee for the 2004-05 academic year. As the convener of the Committee, it is your responsibility to arrange, as soon as feasible, an organizational meeting, the primary purpose of which is to elect a chairperson and a secretary. Please share this memo with the committee members either at the organizational meeting or, if you prefer, prior to that meeting.
Each faculty committee is expected to promptly provide the Senate office the results of the election of officers and any changes in committee membership. Regarding the latter item, the Committee chairperson should carefully review the policies on committee attendance and the role of alternates, on pgs 10-11, of the 8-27-01 Articles & By-laws materials distributed by Jennifer Wilson's office. Following recent practice, we are asking that the committee secretaries e-mail the meeting minutes to Sibbie Weathers, (email@example.com) so that the minutes can be quickly posted at the Senate Web site. At the end of the academic year, the committee chair should submit a report on the activities of the Promotion, Tenure and Salary Committee for that year.
Duties and responsibilities shall include:
1. Studying and recommending policies and procedures used in the university concerning salary, promotion, and tenure.
2. Collecting and disseminating information on procedures employed within the university in matters concerning promotion, tenure, and salary.
Membership of the committee shall consist of nine faculty members, none of whom shall have any designated administrative responsibility, and none of whom shall be members of the academic staff. The committee shall elect its chairperson.
In addition to the committee’s normal duties, I ask that the committee consider and report on the following special charges:
· Audit the faculty promotion and workload issues/concerns identified in the recent Campus Climate Survey (Dr. Deb Hoskins, author of the survey report, would be available to provide additional information), and recommend ways to address problems as necessary.
· Investigate the extent of a salary compression problem for tenured Assistant Professors with substantial years of service relative to newly hired Assistant Professors, and recommend ways to address the problem as necessary.
· Report on the variety of post-tenure review processes employed by academic departments and determine whether or not tenured faculty are receiving appropriate constructive feedback.
· Report on the salary compensation methods employed by colleges for faculty teaching in J-term, May-term, and summer school, and make recommendations (relative to a uniform university policy) as necessary.
Instead of target dates for receipt of reports, I propose to ask each chair to talk with me in order to schedule dates for the Senate to review the results of these charges. If you have questions or concerns regarding these charges or their implementation, please contact me at any time during the year.
Finally, if the Senate Executive Committee or I can assist your committee in any way during the year, please do not hesitate to ask.