International Education Committee
University of Wisconsin – La Crosse
Meeting Minutes for September 17, 2004
221 Main Hall
Present: Tom Hench (Convener), Jeff Bryan, Kathy Elgin (Acad. Staff Rep.), David Howard, Leslee Poulton, Tim McAndrews, S. N. Rajagopal, Keeley Rees, Lisa Swayhoover (OIE, Consultant)
Excused: Victor Macias, Nancy Navar
- The meeting was called to order by Convener Hench at 12:10 PM.
- Selection of this year’s chair.
M/S/P to elect Tom Hench as this year’s chair
- Ashley Burrows’ accounting/finance study tour proposal to the UK, Finland, Sweden, and Belgium. This proposal had received conditional approval from last year’s committee, pending submission of all application documents. All application documents were provided to this year’s committee prior to the meeting. Prof. Burrows provided a summary of the study tour.
M/S/P to approve Prof. Burrows’ proposal
- Senate charge. A memo
from the Senate Chair Bruce Riley was circulated to the committee. In
addition to our usual duties Chair Riley has charged us with:
- “Report on the outcomes from the assessment of recent international education study programs.” Chair Hench will seek additional clarification of this charge.
- “Work with the student senate to properly utilize the resources generated by the new differential tuition.” Kathy Elgin will find out who the student representative to the IEC is this year.
- The third charge charges us to work with the Provost’s Taskforce on Academic Initiatives in International Education. Chair Hench noted that he is a member of the Taskforce, and suggested that we consider a joint meeting.
- OIE Report. Lisa Swayhoover reported that the first application deadline for proposals this year is October 1, for study tours taking place in Fall 2005. She also asked for a volunteer to help review stipends provided from differential tuition funds. S. N. Rajagopal signed himself up.
- The meeting was adjourned at 12:50 PM
Jeff C. Bryan
(. . . next page)
Next Meeting: Friday, October 8,
Room #221 Graff Main Hall
Time: 12:00 – 1:00pm
Agenda: 1. Review Faculty Senate Charge
2. Review relevant study abroad proposals submitted on Oct. 1 deadline.
3. Other. . .