August 26, 2005
TO: Kris Rolfhus, Convener
Research & Grants Committee
FROM: Carmen Wilson, Chair
RE: Committee Charge for 2005-2006 Academic Year
This memo is intended to serve as the initial charge letter to the Research & Grants Committee for the 2005-06 academic year. As the convener of the committee it is your responsibility to arrange as soon as feasible an organizational meeting, the primary purpose of which is to elect a chairperson and a secretary. Please share this memo with the committee members either at the organizational meeting or, if you prefer, prior to that meeting.
Primary responsibilities of the chairperson include:
o promptly informing the Senate office (5-8018) the results of the election of officers and any changes in committee membership.*
o organizing and conducting meetings.
o completing a year end report on the Research & Grants Committee activities to be submitted to the Senate Office no later than May 31, 2006.
*The committee chairperson should carefully review the policies on committee attendance and the role of alternates on pgs. 10-11, of the 8-27-01 Articles & By-laws materials distributed by Jennifer Wilson's office.
Primary responsibilities of the secretary include:
o recording minutes of each meeting.
o sending meeting minutes to Sibbie Weathers (firstname.lastname@example.org) so that the minutes can be posted on the faculty senate website.
In the event the committee chooses to rotate secretarial duties, please designate one person to be responsible for e-mailing the meeting minutes to Sibbie Weathers. Sibbie has already created an e-mail distribution list of committee members which includes Sibbie to facilitate communication with faculty senate.
Duties and responsibilities of the committee shall include:
- Establishing written guidelines and screening and selection procedures for research proposals.
- Establishing written procedures for evaluating and ranking research proposals.
- Receiving and evaluating research proposals from faculty and academic staff with faculty status.
- Apportioning institutional funds for research.
- Advising the coordinator of gifts and grants in the solicitation of grant monies.
- Providing the UW-L Foundation with a list of committee faculty members from which it may select advisory members for its Grants and Review Committee.
Membership of the committee shall consist of the provost/vice chancellor (or his/her designated representative) and nine faculty members. Faculty and academic staff with faculty status who submit research proposals during a given year shall not be members of the committee during that year. The coordinator of gifts and grants shall serve as an administrative consultant to the committee for grants advisory purposes. The committee shall elect its chairperson.
In addition to the committee’s normal duties, I ask that the committee consider and report on the following special charge:
· Report on the adequacy of the available financial resources to fund grants. (E.g. How many grants received partial or no funding only because of a lack of resources?)
Please plan to report to senate on the above charge no later than February 23, 2006.
Finally, if the Senate Executive Committee or I can assist your committee in any way during the year, please do not hesitate to ask.