August 26, 2005
TO: Barbara Rusterholtz, Convener
Undergraduate Research Committee
FROM: Carmen Wilson, Chair
RE: Committee Charge for 2005-2006 Academic Year
This memo is intended to serve as the initial charge letter to the Undergraduate Research Committee for the 2005-06 academic year. As the convener of the committee it is your responsibility to arrange as soon as feasible an organizational meeting, the primary purpose of which is to elect a chairperson and a secretary. Please share this memo with the committee members either at the organizational meeting or, if you prefer, prior to that meeting.
Primary responsibilities of the chairperson include:
o promptly informing the Senate office (5-8018) the results of the election of officers and any changes in committee membership.*
o organizing and conducting meetings.
o completing a year end report on the URC activities to be submitted to the Senate Office no later than May 31, 2006.
*The committee chairperson should carefully review the policies on committee attendance and the role of alternates on pgs. 10-11, of the 8-27-01 Articles & By-laws materials distributed by Jennifer Wilson's office.
Primary responsibilities of the secretary include:
o recording minutes of each meeting.
o sending meeting minutes to Sibbie Weathers (email@example.com) so that the minutes can be posted on the faculty senate website.
In the event the committee chooses to rotate secretarial duties, please designate one person to be responsible for e-mailing the meeting minutes to Sibbie Weathers. Sibbie has already created an email distribution list of committee members which includes Sibbie to facilitate communication with faculty senate.
Duties and responsibilities of the committee shall include:
- Establishing written evaluation procedures and criteria for funding undergraduate research proposals.
- Establishing written procedures for applying for undergraduate research funds.
- Publicizing the availability of undergraduate research funds and the procedures for applying for those funds.
- Receiving and evaluating research proposals from undergraduate students.
- Apportioning institutional funds for undergraduate research.
- Advising the coordinator of gifts and grants in the solicitation of grant monies to support undergraduate research.
- Planning and conducting an annual Undergraduate Research Day, as well as other means of disseminating undergraduate research results.
Membership of the committee shall consist of nine faculty members and two student members. Terms of service for the faculty members shall be three years. There shall be no more than three faculty members from each of the following academic units: the College of Business Administration, the College of Liberal Studies, the College of Science and Allied Health, and the College of Education, Exercise Science, Health and Recreation. Student members shall be selected from students who have received research funding from the committee in previous years. Students who submit research proposals during a given year shall not be members of the committee during that year. The coordinator of gifts and grants shall serve as an administrative consultant to the committee for grants advisory purposes. The committee shall elect its chairperson.
In addition to the committee’s normal duties, I ask that the committee consider and report on the following special charges:
- Report on the resources committed to supporting undergraduate research programs at the university (university-wide, college, and departmental programs) and report on the results of the programs.
Please include information on the above charge in your year-end report. If you have questions or concerns regarding this charge, please contact me at any time during the year.
Finally, if the Senate Executive Committee or I can assist your committee in any way during the year, please do not hesitate to ask.