GRADUATE COUNCIL MINUTES
Friday, October 07, 2005-10:00 a.m.
325 Graff Main Hall
Members Present: T. Blumentritt, R. Dixon (Co-chair), T. Kuffel, Y. Park,
K. Periasamy, S. Simpson, D. Sutherland, M. Thorman,
A. Von Dollen, (Student Rep.)
Members Excused: V. Agarwal, T. Krueger, S. Pfeifer (Student Rep.)
Members Absent: G. Arimond, T. Rausch (Student Rep.)
Consultants Present: B. May, C. Martin-Stanley, K. Mc Lean, D. Schumacher, T. Staloch
Others Present: Chris Bakkum
1. The meeting was called to order at 10:02 a.m. by Rob Dixon (Co-chair).
2. A motion was made, seconded and passed to approve the minutes of September 16, 2005. (6 yes, o no)
3. A memo of understanding between CSDA and the Psychology Department was
distributed to the council members for their review. Chris Bakkum, Director of CSDA gave a brief history of the CSDA Department. A discussion followed the overview given by Chris. A motion was made, seconded and passed to approve the CSDA Program to become part of the Psychology Department in the College of Liberal Studies. (8 yes, 0 no)
4. A. Von Dollen, (Student Rep.) gave an update on the Graduate Student Organization. Andrea informed the council that they are working on ways to make the grad students aware of the Graduate Student Organization. The next meeting of the GSO is the last Monday in October (October 31, 2005) at 5:00 p.m. in Cartwright Center.
5. Rob informed the council at our next meeting we would be going into closed session to hear a graduate student appeal for a time extension. You may review the appeal packet on October 17, 18, 19 and 20, 2005 in 145 Graff Main Hall or you may arrive at 9:30 a.m. on October 21, 2005 in 325 Graff Main Hall.
6. Revised Grant guidelines. The revised guidelines were not available for review; however the council discussed the dollar amount ($1,600). A motion was made, seconded and passed to approve the maximum grant amount for $1600.
(8 yes, 0 no)
7. Rob appointed Traci Blumentritt, Teri Staloch, and Steve Simpson to review the
Graduate Student Grant Applications. The applications are due on October 28, 2005 by 4:00 in 145 Graff Main Hall.
8. Rob appointed Traci Blumentritt, Teri Staloch, and Steve Simpson to review and
make revisions on the GSO application for graduate travel.
9. Copies of the Graduate Review Teams were distributed. The applications for
Graduate Faculty Membership (renewals and new applications) are to be in the
Dean’s office by October 11th, and in the Graduate Studies Office by October 21.
Rob requested that the reviewers make notes and suggestions on how to improve the
application process as they review.
10. Election of a secretary/recorder: A motion was made, seconded and passed to nominate Fran Temp for secretary/recorder for the Graduate Council. (8 yes, 0 no)
A motion was made, seconded and passed to adjourn the Graduate Council Meeting at
10:45 a.m. (8 yes, 0 no)
C: Graduate Council Members
Graduate Program Directors
Graduate Council File